Why cant plus size women embrace their body types?

It seems as they are always trying to use a word that doesnt really describe their shape...chunky, chubby, pudgy, thick, curvy, luscious, etc ??

it just doesnt make sense and it makes it seem like they are ashamed to be plus size. Shouldnt you embrace your body no matter the size? After all , you chose to be this size , why hide behind a name?

This is not intended to be a bash post , im just trying to understand because i just dont get it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I embrace my fatty self. I dont describe myself as chunky, thick, more to love blah blah. Im a full on fat ass. I did it all to myself, i emotional ate while my husband was in the corp, stopped running & exercising etc. I went from a size 8 to a size 24. No exscuses on my end, I cant stand it when chicks do that. Imj working on getting myself back together, But i refuse to weigh myself. I have went from a 24 to 20 in 2 months. :) And i do judge fat people as well, Not the put together decent looking ones, THe ones who go out of the house and look like they just rolled out of bed. I myself couldnt imagine why they would do that.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 9:00 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Funny.. Only a skinny woman would ask such a thing. NO, not all people CHOSE to be FAT as you wanna call it, Some people just have it in their genes from their family, some people had a baby and can't loose the weight, some people have other health issues making it hard. Who wants to embrace being FAT? It's hard thinking that our SO's are really looking at skinny women, I know i don't want to see my body nude so why the hell would he?? We are realist, men fall in love with our personalities not what is under our clothes, because that clearly is not a sight to see. I use to be 22/24 and then went to a 10/12 and after my baby to a 12/14, even though i lost so much weight i still did not have a killer body BY FAR. It is not something i will ever be ok with, just something i have to learn to live with. The worls is TERRIBLE to larger, plumper, chunky, people. And then here comes the people that ask why we aren't ok? REALLY?
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 9:11 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• What passive-aggressive nimrod is downvoting all the thoughtful answers on this question? Grow up, seriously.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:19 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Part of it is a health issue. I'm a size 14/16, and I have been losing weight (was a size 20/22), and already, I have less pain, my blood pressure is going down, as is my blood sugar. Seriously, obesity is one of the top causes for preventable death in this country. I'm not saying one can't be overweight AND healthy, but most seriously overweight people are at an unhealthy weight for their body. I don't ever want to be a size 0, but I do want to be healthy.
    Also, the media is still filled with images of skinny women (healthy or not). Even though the average woman in America is overweight, actresses, models, and singers are nearly all teeny tiny, and this is what we are seeing as poster children for what women should be.
    I don't think women "choose" to be this size. I can see why you say it, but many women don't grow up with the knowledge or skills for how to stay healthy.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:54 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Because society tells us it is wrong. Look at the magazines in your check out, how many of those women are plus sized? None. How many women on television are plus sized? Very few. Even the ones who were plus sized have lost weight and now makes it seem like being bigger is wrong. Society shows that skinny is beautiful. How can a plus sized woman be okay in her skin if she is told that she is not normal, ugly, fat? She can't be.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 8:55 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• That woman is not plus size IMO.

Maybe she is plus sized compared to an 100 lb super model....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:32 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I HATE when people assume they know things they don't and put a whole group of people in one bunch,, You have no idea why any individual is the way they are and why they weigh what they do and what they are doing to correct it, or IF they even chose to correct it. Stop making general statements about any one group of people YOU be happy with YOU and leave everyone else alone. And if I had the body of THAT so called plus sized model I'd be embracing the shit out of it! However like the other woman said, she does NOT represent the "real world"
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 9:21 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• OP, you are being very judgmental of overweight people.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:33 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Shouldnt you embrace your body no matter the size? After all , you chose to be this size , why hide behind a name?--

that was your original question. NOW you're just being a bitch.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:30 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Because most know they caused themselves to be overweight and they dont like that fact they have. So they are always dieting. If they didnt think they were chunny, chunky etc then there would be no need to diet would there? Also society has made it so that it is a social wrong to be overweight. Kinda hard for someone who is heavy to embrace how they look while getting dirty looks when they go out to eat or try on clothes. Shoot havent you seen some posts here? I have seen so many about omg I saw a fat woman eating at McDonalds, and things like that.

Answer by gemgem at 8:53 AM on Mar. 31, 2011