Wedding dress cost and alterations?

Hey ladies.

How much did you pay for your dress? How much did the alterations cost?

I got my dress at David's Bridal and they want almost as much for alterations as I paid for the dress. I'm looking somewhere else.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 8:56 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• My dress was $800 and alterations didnt cost me more then $75. I found a woman advertising locally who did alterations and she did my dress. You should look in ads or ask around, in this economy especially there are alot of people making money by doing alterations at home.

Answer by gemgem at 8:59 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I went to small shop - no big name place. The dresses were in the basement. But I bought all of our dresses there which I think helped with the repor between me & the shop owner. I picked a dress, and she told me that they were no longer dealing with that maker and that was the only dress. She gave it to me for $250 AS IS. It fit me perfectly. then I took it to another small shop for alterations...costs me about $100 to have a foot cut off the bottom (I am a shortly), let it out about an inch, and sewed my bustier into the dress for me. All together it was $350. Sounds like the dress was cheap??? David's bridal now sells the same exact dress for $700.
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 9:52 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My dress was around $800 and I got the alterations done for under $100 by a lady who did them in her home - recommended by a friend.

Answer by missanc at 10:22 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I got my dress at a second hand store for 65$. No, not a typo, sixty-five dollars :) It was exactly what I wanted and I was able to afford a big tip for the girl that did my alterations. She worked from her own home, didn't speak very good english, and had her three little ones home with her. She did wonderful work, and was only going to charge me 50$ for letting out the chest, and taking a few inches off the bottom. Since I didn't spend all my money on the dress in the first place, I was able to give her 100$ without hurting my budget, and I know she needed it.
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 10:54 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My mom is a seamstress and has done many alterations on wedding dresses and she's a heck of alot cheaper than the store. She has her sewing machines at her house and many supplies. My mom also altered my dress as well.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 11:59 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• i have seen some fashion wedding dresses on http://www.onlywo.com
    the price is about usd 200. they are so nice~~
    hope this can help you.
    isabella2011

Answer by isabella2011 at 10:41 PM on Apr. 8, 2011