How many presidents have you lived through?

And, if you've lived through many do you think that the PR challenges presidents face are the same as they've always been ro do you think the 24 hour news cycle & instant transmission of information has had a signidicant impact?

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 9:02 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I was born in 1970, so Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush 1, Clinton, Bush 2, Obama.

To answer your question...yeah I definitely think it's definitely had an impact. Information is available quicker, easier for the public to react to something instaneously.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 9:06 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• The Jackass
    GWB
    slick willie
    GHWB
    Reagan
    Carter
    Ford
    Nixon
    Johnson
    Can I list Hillary too, cause she thought she was for awhile there?
    I think the IT situations cause people to not only have to be more truthful, but I also think it allows for more spin and controll. There is a constant feed to the people of correct and incorrect information, and communitainment, and propaganda. Verifying all that is leaked or let out is a perpetual job, and it's expensive. Massive information flows can overwhelm the systems and the people.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:08 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Reagan
    Bush
    Clinton
    Bush
    Obama
    UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 9:19 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I was born right before Kennedy was shot, so my list is:

Kennedy
    Johnson
    Nixon
    Ford
    Carter
    Reagan
    Bush I
    Clinton
    Bush II
    Obama

24 hour news has DEFINITELY had an impact. We find out about things faster, and it's also harder to sort through all of the information that's out there.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 9:20 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I was also born in 1970, so Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush 1, Clinton, Bush 2, Obama. (Thanks for making that easy thatgirl70!)

All major media changes have a significant impact on politics. Just look back to 1960 and the first televised debated between Kennedy and Nixon. While the emergence of cable news networks also made a big difference, I think the internet, with direct feedback from users and the ability for anyone (qualified or not) to publish their opinion, has made the greatest impact.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 9:29 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• 6.
    Carter
    Ragan
    Bush 1
    Clinton
    Bush 2
    Obama
    Yes. Media does make their job harder. I would not be president for anything.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:38 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Carter 

Reagan
    Bush
    Clinton
    Bush
    Obama

Yes, reaction times are expected imediately with full disclosure to the press. They also dig for stuff that doesn't really matter because they have to FILL time....so we end up focusing on crap when we should be focused of policy & action

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:45 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Reagan
    Bush
    Clinton
    Bush
    Obama
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:21 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• 10
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:22 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I was born in 71, so I believe its 6 presidents. I think that the only thing that has really changed is people thinking Presidents being human is not acceptable. Honestly I can care less if my President has 10 affairs while in the whitehouse, as long as he is experienced, does a good job and does what is best for the people he can cheat on his wife. Thats his problem and his wife's. I see him the same as I would any employee I suppose. Do your job, and you get my vote, dont do what I want, and you dont get it.

Answer by gemgem at 10:25 AM on Mar. 31, 2011