Does your child have an invisible friend?

Are they mostly an only child thing?

My DS is 4y and has a few. He told me last night his invisible girlfriend, Elisa, has two children.

He's also had a group of invisible teen-age friends for at least a year who live in space and he loves to tell me about all his great adventures with them.

His first, and wiredest invisible friend, is an elderly native american woman who is wheelchair bound. She tells him stories and sings songs to him and he helps her get around.

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 9:17 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• My son doesn't, but my 3 year old niece does. She always talks about her sisters... but she's an only child. I think it's just coming from the fact that my sister-in-law is having another baby in September. It's pretty funny.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 9:25 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Nope, but i have 3 so maybe it is an only child thing? My 2 yr old has a blanket she carries around with her and she says its a boy and she talks to it sometimes.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 9:25 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• no, i have 3 kids, maybe its an only child thing?
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 9:27 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My son had an invisible friend named Sparky.  Sparky joined our family when my son was about 4 or 5.  Sparky had his own place at the table, his own spot in the back seat of the car, etc etc.  Sparky coincidentally didn't like the same foods my son disliked.  Sparky did not like to wash his hair.   I sat on Sparky more than once.  My son is now 7 and once in a great while, Sparky comes back to life.  Not as much as before though. 

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 9:30 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Oh yes, my daughter is ALWAYS talking to herself and her "friends"
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:50 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• no, but my 3 year old has carried on conversations with thin air before. It doesnt happen often, I just listen in to see what she is saying. When I was a child I had an invisible friend (only child) his name was ralph and he would scare me all the time by jumping out of cabinets or out from under my bed. Or so I am told. Crazy thing is I don't remember it, but I can still picture him. Kinda weird if you ask me, lol
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:17 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My son has his "silky" (a blanket he has had his whole life) that he has given a personality to lol he talks to "him" all the time and tells him he loves him and he will tell me "silky is tired/hungry/thirsty" I think it is still cute
    logansmommy711

Answer by logansmommy711 at 10:55 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• nope, but ds did have a ghost boy i his room when we lived in a trailer. we actually have a pic of him with this ghost....its pretty cool but creepy lol and his name was Martin. my ds tried to spell it out with letter blocks when he was 1 1/2.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 11:50 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My kids used to have invisible friends. My son still had one when in kindergarten and he would tell us about him but told him not to talk about it too much at school. He was gone by the end of kindergarten...I'm not sure if my son even remembers his "friend". my daughter had 2 friends before and during kindergarten. She didn't talk about them in class. She's in first grade now and I do remember her talking about one of the friends at the beginning of the school year...nothing recently. I guess all of the invisibles are gone.

JenE1098

Answer by JenE1098 at 11:56 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• my 4 year old has a friend she calls shadow. I think shadow is a boy not sure yet but she talks about him all the time and we have even seen her talking to him while shes alone. I see shadow as mainly a guardian angel or something like that because she says shadow tells her not to be afraid when shes scared. Hopefully she will grow out it soon
    lsa0919

Answer by lsa0919 at 4:13 PM on Mar. 31, 2011