Would you buy your daughter a breastfeeding doll?

NEW YORK (WABC) -- A new doll called the "Breast Milk Baby" is stirring up loads of controversy among parents across the country.
The doll is manufactured by Berjuan Toys and was originally distributed in Europe.
It was released in Spain in 2009 under the name Bebe Gloton.
Now, it is making its spring debut in America and not everyone is happy about seeing the doll on the shelves of their local stores.
The " Breast Milk Baby" comes with an apron style top with flowers in place of nipples, allowing young girls to hold the doll to their chest and mimic breastfeeding.

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 9:27 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• YEP.

Answer by IhartU at 9:48 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• No I think it's stupid and a waste of 80 dollars. Luckily my daughter is 11 and has outgrown dolls

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:50 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• This is horrible! I have never heard of this doll before this post, but I believe it is up to the parents to teach children about breastfeeding and even at that they shouldn't know about it until they are older. What a crazy world we live in!

Answer by abutler1032 at 10:17 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• For $80! NO! My daughter pretends to breastfeed her dolls and sometimes she will try to find a bra of mine to be a "real mom", and I'm not opposed to a breastfeeding doll...but not for $80!

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:17 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I think it is absolutely CRAZY to hide breastfeeding until the child is "older" we hide a baby bottle until kids are "older"?! NO! I would much rather have my daughter brought up that the natural purpose of a breast is to nurse a baby, instead of being so sexual we have to "hide" breastfeeding from a child. phew. ridiculous.

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:19 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• If money was not an issue and she wanted it, sure. I don't see what the big dela's breastfeeding, and breastfeeding is not sexual. I personally would never spend $80 on a doll though.

Answer by Renee3K at 10:23 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• i wouldn't buy any doll for $80, but i have no problem with the concept of the doll. However...i would expect my kids to 'pretend' breastfeeding long before then. Most kids like to play dolls between 3-9 years, so i would expect to see a younger child mimic me and put the doll under her shirt to feed! Breastfeeding is a very natural thing in my house, so it's not something that ever 'stands out' in our play. it's not an issue of controversary for my kids!

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• No, because you can buy your child a Cabbage Patch doll for a fraction of the price and let her pretend to breastfeed it.

Answer by makelineerror at 10:56 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• if it was maybe $20 i would get it.....but since its so expensive they get the same baby dolls i got when i was little lol (not having a daughter im having a little boy so i dont think i have to deal with this stuff....i will if i have a girl in the future though lol)

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 8:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I don't see anything wrong with the BF doll. PPL had nothing to say when they were shoving a bottle in a babies mouth. Its natural to BF a baby. I find nothing wrong with it. If my DD wasstill into dolls I would.

Answer by Baby4us09 at 10:07 AM on Apr. 1, 2011