Is it easier to change your diet or exercise when trying to control High Blood Pressure?

Diagnosing myself...I've been stressed so I haven't actually gotten a confirmed diagnosis from a Dr (though 3 rounds at the dentist says I do) of High Blood Pressure. It does run in the family. I've been trying to lose the weight and just when I thought I did...I gained some of it back. With my recent trip to dental...my diet needs to change anyway...so hopefully it won't damage my kids to eat healthier now instead of later. I lack motivation so unless I have someone over my shoulder working out with me...it's a challenge in itself.

Aside from my rambling...to control it without meds...is it easier to change the diet or to exercise to start lowering the blood pressure? Granted, I guess I should do both, but baby steps...

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 9:33 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Health

• If you have to choose, choose excercise it works faster and better, but I would do both.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:35 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I think a diet would be easier.. less actual work to do. exercise would work faster but again, more work
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:39 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I agree with doing both. The exercise doesn't even have to be that much...even just a 20-minute walk per day will help with blood pressure issues.

Also, here's a good article you might want to read for some additional help:

http://www.naturalnews.com/007977.html

Try to find some dedication to living a healthier lifestyle, so you can be around and be healthy for as long as possible! Good luck!

vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:43 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Vicesix, thanks for the article. It's definitely useful.
    Imortlmommy

Comment by Imortlmommy (original poster) at 9:50 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I dont have high blood pressure, but going to the dentist skyrockets my blood pressure. I REALLY hate the dentist. The dentist says it's too high, but at the Dr's office they say it's fine and goes up at the dentist because I'm afraid of the dentist. Diet AND excercise will bring it down best.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:01 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• It's never damaging to have kids eat healthy! Look at it as a lifestyle change not things you "can't" have. Begin with small changes and add on as you go... Just be kind to youself and make sure you get the support you need. Friends, family, and maybe a group. You can do it girl :)
    Elysium927

Answer by Elysium927 at 10:26 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My Mom has horrible blood pressure. She is working out and lost 15lbs in 2 months.
    Nickcole23

Answer by Nickcole23 at 10:48 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• sometimes neither diet or exercise work, doesn't mean you shouldn't try both, but also see an md. they don't call it the silent KILLER for no reason.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 3:02 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• i would think
    mommyof3-2008

Answer by mommyof3-2008 at 6:19 PM on Apr. 19, 2011