Half Day & our school district is still stupid

So the kids have another half day, and for one I never really understood the point. They get out at 11:20 lol. That is 3 hours of school. On top of it, I have kids in different schools. I have one in elementary and one is high school. They are around 2 miles away from the other, and they are both getting out at the same time. In normal school hours they give us 25 minutes between pick ups (2:25 & 2:50).
I dont understand who made the schedule? Would this annoy you? Am I just being petty? My kids are car riders I dont get how they expect me and other car riders to be in two places at once?

Asked by gemgem at 9:34 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• When we have half-days, they all spend the same amount of time in school, so their exit times are still staggered. It doesn't make sense to have them all get out at the same time if they went in at different times.
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 9:44 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I used to have that issue when we had early release and one of my daughters was in elem. school and one was in preschool. They'd both let out a 12:00. What I did was to leave early to be the very first one in line at the preschool, then dash over to the elem. school, where the line would still be going strong. I'd be toward the back of it, but I'd still be there on time, lol.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:39 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Our system staggers the school stop and start times by like 20 minutes, to help with traffic congestion. So, with our 5 schools it helps trememdously. I can see why you would find that hard to juggle and I agree with you. I find that most times, scheduling conflicts are usually there because of teacher convenience. The teachers get what they want here.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:52 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Our district staggers the times because they use the same set of buses. They get the middle schoolers on first, drop them off, then come back for high school, and then grade school. My middle school DD catches the bus at 7am and my grade school DS at 8:40. Obviously then, when they come home, they still have to stagger the times so the buses can make the runs.
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 9:57 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• We have "early release" every so often here and the kids get out 2 1/2 hours early - but they cut out the "extra" stuff that day (recess, specials, etc) and have a shortened lunch to try to fit in as much of the regular work as possible. In theory it gives the teachers some extra time. But all the schools shouldn't be getting out at the same time - I'll have kids at 3 different schools at the same time, it would be impossible!

Answer by missanc at 9:39 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Crazy
    Crissy9832

Answer by Crissy9832 at 9:41 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• missanc thats what Im saying. You would think theyd realize there are alot of moms and dads out there who have to be at different schools lol. I have to leave early to get dd out, then pick up my son on time. If I didnt it takes me around 15 minutes just to get out of the parking lot at the elementary school. It takes even longer to get out of the HS.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 9:42 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• lol I didnt even think about that Susan. That is true. My dd starts at 7:55 and ds at 8:05 and they didnt change that this morning.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 9:45 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Ours are getting out 15 minutes early right before break. So they will still be staggered. They have to the same busses go to all the different schools. That is why they are staggered in the first place. So they can use each bus for several different routes. I would call the school board and ask them what their problem is. Bus #100 picks up high school students at 7:00-7:15 and drops them off. Then the middle school starts at 8:05. One set of elemetary schools start at 8:30 and the other set starts at 9:00. Then they do it all over again in the afternoon. 10 minutes between buildings isn't enough time to send the buses out again! How many buses does your district own?
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:57 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• We have plenty of buses. Each school has their own set. They dont have to wait for one school to get out because of the buses. I guess this is a good thing, but on days like today it is not convenient. And yes I do think the school district has an obligation to make things convenient to parents, the same parents they are always asking money from for donations through fund raiser. The fact is if we are late getting the kids we get in trouble for not being there on time, so not making it convenient is a problem. My dh pays taxes which pays for the schools, so they work for us.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 10:00 AM on Mar. 31, 2011