Should a woman give her baby away because she can't spell or write?

Really? I can't believe some people have the gall to tell another woman that she doesn't deserve to parent her child just because she has issues reading and writing! Wow!

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 9:42 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Adoption

• I think it is too funny that some of the harsh responses have grammatical errors in them. Besides there is a difference between having reading and writing issues and being totally illiterate.

If we use being grammatically correct all the time as a criteria to have the right to parent, there are plenty of aparents here at CM that would not qualify. I am astonished at times to see what a bad grasp of the English language some amoms have here. And yes, I do hold aparents to a higher standard.

No, having writing and reading issues is not reason enough to place a child for adoption. As far as judging who should relinquish a child to adoption, some people have such a fairy tale view of adoption they think any reason is fine.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 12:45 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I have two answers for this. The first- No, every woman has a right to raise her child and I hope with all of the love the mother can give.

Second- I really have lost faith in humanity with the state of education and the state of intelligence there is in raising children now. I wish there was some form of requirement that made sure you were capable of helping your child through school. Isn't that part of being a parent? Helping with homework? We cannot leave the education of our children COMPLETELY up to the school system (that is clearly struggling to pass children as it is).

Go ahead. Vote me down. But I said it as honestly as I could.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 9:47 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• No, but she should also not be the one responsible for educating her child.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:46 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• uh.. no
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 9:43 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• That's crazy talk!  Whoever said that needs an extra cup of shut the hell up.  I didn't finish school, not the smartest person on the planet.  I think it makes me even that much more dedicated to making sure my children receive the education I didn't. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:44 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• No spelling and reading have no correlation with being a good a good mother. I would have to say though that I would think that ulittle ones would be a great motivation to learn.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:45 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My cousin by adoption can barely read, only 3 letter words, and cannot write, but only her name and her children, she went to school, but she graduated only because they wanted her out, she did not even know the current president was Obama. She has two children, 5 & 6, she has custody of them, and there father is ''normal'' so-to-speak. He has a high school diploma, can drive, read/write, FT job. Just because a mother or father can't live up to someone's expectations of a ''perfect mother'' doesn't give them the right to have there child/ren taken away. My cousin loves her children, and so do I. She lives with my aunt, just because she can't help them with there HW, someone else can. She treats her kids better than some mothers i've seen in public.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 10:14 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• if your old enough to make a child you are old enough to raise the child spelling or writing has nothing to do with being a mother!!! im not the best speller in the world and i cant read big words that great but i tell you one damn thing i have a 2yr old son and do you think anybody told me to give my child away because i was 17 no and i would smck the shit out of them if they did!!! You can do it momma good luck!!! =)
    kolbysmama20

Answer by kolbysmama20 at 10:28 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Is this a trick question?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:25 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• knicole said: "My cousin by adoption can barely read, only 3 letter words, and cannot write"

Hey! Isn't this what the question is about?
    Isn't getting the child away from a mom that can't spell or read, and into a 'better' adoptive home susposed to prevent this????????
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 3:12 PM on Mar. 31, 2011