I have a sex store for women...what NOT to sell?

I am selecting inventory for my sex toy shop and novelty store. The store is really for women and couples so I want to be sensitive to womens needs and true desires. So I decided against carrying porno movies and magazines. I know that there are women who enjoy fetish, s&m, bondage etc but there are some things I worry may repel more than attract women. For example, the Gimp from Pulp Fiction type masks. I have to make a decision today to either supply them or not. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Shopping

• When I was single, I actually liked porn movies and magazines. Yes, there are certain movies that are degrading to women but there are many that are actually geared towards women. As far as magazines - I really liked Penthouse Forum and it's actually what got me started exploring my sexuality with toys, etc. My husband and I are very into bondage and I've never been offended by any items in either of the local sex stores here. I guess I just think that generally women who are comfortable going into a sex store aren't going to get upset over the things that are usually there.

Answer by missanc at 9:49 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Pick whatever inventory you like but put up signs letting people know you will order specialty items if they like, meaning, you will order what they want if available.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• lol I am carrying condoms for sure. I wish I could supply them for free :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:51 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I don't have any ideas for you. I like porn :) Couples porn of course. Of course carry condoms...it is not just for protection but also mess prevention.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:52 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• keep the bondage section to a minimal amount. If I was going to a sex shop I would want to see sexy lingerie, toys and lotions and potions. I would not want the whips and chains to be the first thing I see. By the way, there was this powder I used to use back in the day that was so yummy. It was a honey powder and when you brushed it on and licked it, it tasted like honey. that was one of my favorite things.

beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 9:52 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• "keep the bondage section to a minimal amount. If I was going to a sex shop I would want to see sexy lingerie, toys and lotions and potions. I would not want the whips and chains to be the first thing I see. By the way, there was this powder I used to use back in the day that was so yummy. It was a honey powder and when you brushed it on and licked it, it tasted like honey. that was one of my favorite things."

I feel the same way! I like the lotions and potions! Oh and we do carry edible powders! I'll keep the bondage and fetish in the back.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:54 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Well, I wouldn't sell Fleshlights.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:54 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• you should carry porn video and porn books. women like to read romance and lusting novels. As for movies, get the movies that have a theme to them, that arent all sex but has a good story line. Something to really make them fantasize and get into.
    DaNanny28

Answer by DaNanny28 at 9:57 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• @DaNanny, what happened was that there were so many hardcore movies we decided to visit the porno movie situation at a later time. I was thinking about supplying education dvds. We do have erotica books. It's clear that there are women that do enjoy movies so I am going to sell dvds but not hardcore.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:05 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• classy lingerie would be nice, not scratchy cheap lace and stuff. Real silk chemises, massage oils and bath and body. kama Sumatra is a nice line. Do you have an online presence? Some Women might feel more comfortable ordering online and having things shipped.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 6:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2011