Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Changing last name

What's the first step in changing your last name to your new married?

Answer Question

Asked by MichelleAlpha at 9:57 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Relationships

Level 5 (80 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • Go to the social security office with your marriage license to get a new social security card.


    Answer by Liamsmom09 at 10:00 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

  • the first step is going to the courthouse. you need to apply and a judge has to approve. from there after you're approved you got to the dmv and your bank (anywhere that your personal information is saved and inform them of the change

    Answer by momofone725 at 10:00 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

  • When you receive your marriage certificate, you need to bring it to the drivers license place and they will take care of it. You also need to bring it or mail it to the social security office to change your SS card

    Answer by momoftaterbug at 10:01 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

  • You just start using it. Social security and the department of transportation is where to start. You'll need these 'government IDs' to change it else where - like at your bank.

    Answer by JSD24 at 10:02 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

  • just take your marriage license to the social security office and the dmv...and they change it for you.

    Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:05 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

  • Once you get your marriage licenses you go to Social Security office and then t Department of motor vehicles. Once you have done this you change it through your banks and bills.

    Answer by annabelle092810 at 10:05 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

  • I'd say go to the DMV and SS for a new SS card. Then go to the bank and all the places you have an account.

    Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:28 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

  • That's a good question. When I was making the reservations for my son's and his new wife's airplane and honeymoon reservations, I didn't know if she would have paper proof of a change of name right after the wedding. So I just reserved with her maiden name.

    Answer by CoffeeWriter at 12:13 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

  • the first step into changing your last name is that you have to have a copy of the marriage certificate and other necessary documents to get your license then take them to the DMV and thats how its done.

    Answer by shelle21 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

  • you have to take your marriage cert to the social security office first that has to be changed before anything else they will give you a letter saying you changed your name and you can take that to the DMV and get you license done then with that you can pretty much take you DL and your marriage licese and change your name on everything else trust me tho its gonna take time and just change things as they pop up ya know you will get there good luck =)

    Answer by AmandaV. at 6:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.