Cat behavior problems

I have two cats. A male 2 years old named Checkers & a female about 8 years old named Midnight. We got checkers at about 6 weeks old & had him here for a year when we got Midnight from a friend. Checkers plays rough. He bites your feet & ankles . He will lay next to you but hes not much of a lap cat. Midnight is very loving. She will lay in your lap for hours. For some reason though, Checkers chases Midnight around biting on her all the time. She does not hardly ever bite back . She hisses & growls at him. But from the friends we got her from, this was HER behavior towards another cat they had. She bit on the other one all the time. I dont understand why they cant get along or why she wont take up for herself when Checkers is being mean to her, which is dozens of times throughout the day. EVERY DAY. She is a much larger cat them him. They are both fixed & declawed. Any ideas what to do

JustOndrea

Asked by JustOndrea at 5:27 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Pets

• Usually it has to do with territory, and cats trying to make them selves the alpha of the house. Probably nothing you can do. Let them work it out.. it may stop eventually, sometimes it will go on til one of them kicks it... I have watched my 4 cats (now down to 2) go through different phases of this over the years.. my oldest now beats up on the only cat in the house, which she never used to do.. and to top it of the one that is picked on is sick... it sucks.. but its their issue.
    Anonymous

• I would remind Checkers that you are the alph cat and that he is not- I'd clap my hands when he attacked my ankles or lightly flick his ear. I don't have any suggestions about his picking on your other cat. We had a similar problem with our cats.

Answer by Bmat at 5:56 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I have 5, so there is constantly something going on LOL. Squirt bottles work wonders!
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 9:40 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• We have cats too. He's being a bully, get a spray bottle of water, and every time get does that spray him, he will get the message....LOL
    sumbeach

Answer by sumbeach at 11:59 PM on Nov. 28, 2008