Do you think owning a pit bull while you have children in the home is irresponsible?

Why or why not?

Renee3K

Asked by Renee3K at 10:31 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Pets

• Definitely not. Coming from someone who has worked in a vet clinic and frequently volunteered at numerous shelters, ANY animal can become aggressive if they're not raised properly. What's funny is that in all the years I've worked with animals I have NEVER met a vicious pit bull, instead most of the "vicious" dogs I've met were small breeds and poodles.

What I think is irresponsible is anyone who brings a pet into their home without first educating themselves AND their children about the breed and the responsibilities of having a pet. People need to stop getting dogs because of what they look like or because they saw a cool one in a movie, etc... get a dog because it's the right breed for you and your family in all ways and only if you know that you can care for it until the day it dies.
    ANL221

Answer by ANL221 at 5:54 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I dont think it is irresponsible because dogs are taught to be mean in my opinion. I grew up with a doberman sleeping by my crb every night. She was the kindest sweetest dog there was and they had a bad rap as mean dogs. So I think as long as the pit bull is well trained and comfortable around kids I dont see the problem. I have a friend who has 3 of them and they have never had an issue.
    melliesmom1207

Answer by melliesmom1207 at 10:33 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• no, its all how you raise an animal. if your dog has an issue with biting or aggression think twice. Any dog can be a good dog, its up to the owner to raise that dog right.. just like kids.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:33 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Was that pit bull fought before?  Personally I wouldn't have any dog period who had been fought before.  Sad I know, there are a lot of rescues out there but I wouldn't take the chance.  Having a pit bull period?  No I don't think it's irresponsible.  I think it's in how they are raised.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:32 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Not necessarily. It depends on the dog. You can't make assumptions about a breed. You have to evaluate each dog individually.

Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 10:33 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Absolutely NOT. Though some breeds are more target oriented (why children should not crawl around like little animals while playing with them- common sense), they are not inherently dangerous. "There is no such thing as a bad dog, just an irresponsible owner."
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:35 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I'd have more problems with a vicious Chihuahua than a sweet Pit Bull. Just because a dog is small, or not on someone's list of "bad things" doesn't mean it's safe.
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 10:37 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• THE most laid back, mellow, obedient, friendly dog I have ever known was a pit who had been fought... if a dog has passed an eval, that shouldn't be a factor.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:38 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• No. Any pet owner can be responsible or irresponsible with any breed of any animal. It's about the owner, not the breed.

Any animals and kids toegether need supervision, period.

boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:42 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• A well breed pit can be an excellent family pet. They do tend to get a little overzealous and my hurt a toddler or young child trying to love it to death. Pits who are well loved and well raised with a family will be very protective and great watch dogs to a child. I would not take a pit in that was abandoned with a new child and would only take a puppy that can grow up knowing the child because they are kind of fickle. I also personally wouldn't take one with questionable breeding. But I would welcome a pure breed pit puppy into my house with my child.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 1:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2011