Mostly frozen whole chicken...for tonight!

so it is having a bath at the moment in the kitchen sink, still in his wrappings... I am changing the water every 20 min or so...how long do you think this will take? Is there any real hope of eating this guy tonight? It's 10:30 here and 5.5 pound bird.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 10:34 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Sure, if you let cold water just barely run over the bird it will thaw even faster. To do this, put it in a large bowl in the sink and let your water drizzle onto the bird. That way if the bowl overflows it doesn't make a mess.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:36 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• sure, you may get lucky.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:34 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Yeah I think it might work.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:35 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Sounds like chicken soup to me! I put a frozen bird in a stockpot with seasoning veggies, cover with water, and let it simmer for 3-4 hours. Then you can make chicken soup with the broth and shredded meat from the chicken. I strain out the mushy veggies and put in fresh carrots and celery for a basic soup - cook for 20 minutes and it's done. You can also add rice or noodles.
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 10:46 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Yes
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 11:38 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I would unwrap it and run the cold only water into the cavity to help it thaw. It will be fine as long as it's cooked enough. You can tell when it's cooked by if the juices inside it pour out clear. Dont forget to disinfect the sink after thawing.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:12 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I always start with a chicken fresh from the freezer - I never thaw them before cooking. I start low & slow and they always come out moist, tender, soooo good. Oven, crock pot, boiled (for soup or whatever), all starts frozen.
    Anonymous