Eczema

My 3 year old DD has terrible eczema on her arms. In all the typical places, like the crease of her elbow...it's just terrible! Bumpy and red, poor baby tries not to scratch it because she knows it will make it worse but sometimes she just can't help it.

I've taken her to the doctor and been prescribed various types of creams, and it will clear up for a week, and then come back with a vengeance. Some of them even broke her out worse. Right now I'm not using any prescription creams. At the moment, we are doing baths every other night unless she's really grimy (not every night because I don't want to dry out her skin), we use Aveeno eczema wash, fragrance free shampoo, and I put Eucerin dry skin treatment on her twice a day. I started using hypo-allergenic detergent as well, but its still just as terrible! Is there anything I'm missing? Any advice? I don't want it to scar and her little arms just look so tore up. :( Thanks mommas!

CollegeMommy121

Asked by CollegeMommy121 at 10:43 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you tried an elimination diet to see if some food is making the rash worse? Some doctors say that foods can be a cause, some say no... but it might be worth a try.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:45 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My son has it, although not quite as bad as your daughter. I got California Baby Calendula at Target. It works quite well.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:46 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• @CraftingMama, No, the thought never occurred to me and was never mentioned by our pediatrician, but I think it would be worth a try. We have done elimination with Dairy for another problem, and at the time it didn't seem to have an effect on it. How do I go about doing this? Are there any other foods besides dairy that you would recommend eliminating to see if that's the problem?

@TARARENEE, I hear California Baby products are really great. I'll check it out next time I go to the store. Thanks!
    CollegeMommy121

Comment by CollegeMommy121 (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Make sure her bath water isn't too warm, and don't bathe her everyday. My kids have eczema and Aveeno worked best for them. (walmart also has a generic version). If you can get away with bathing her only twice a week, that might help.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:53 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I have it. I'm 19 and have lived with it since I was 2 I have tryed many diff meds and creams but nothing really works the only thing that helps is to wash her in Johnson baby soap
    ambie1992

Answer by ambie1992 at 10:59 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• http://www.webmd.com/allergies/allergies-elimination-diet

This article from WebMD is okay explaining it. Basically you take out everything that is a high allergen food: dairy, wheat, nuts, eggs, soy, and I think there are others I cannot remember. So basically you eat fruit, veggies, and meat for 2 weeks. Then you add one back, one a week. And if the symptoms come back then it is likely an allergy to that food. 

Also, see if you can up her intake of omega-3s. I think Dr. Sears suggests that for eczema. 

CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:01 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Ok, thanks!
    CollegeMommy121

Comment by CollegeMommy121 (original poster) at 11:09 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I just had this happen and another mom on CM suggested a product called Monkey Balm (do be careful how you google it....ewww to the some of the the search results for me). It is an organic stick made up of four or five ingredients and costs only $14.99 per stick. I compare it to deodorantsticks. You rub it on the areas needed.  I do not do steroids because they thin the skin.  I'm not anti doing it, just only as a last resort.  His doctor supported and agreed steroids should be avoided if possible.  Sometimes not possible.  But oral steroids are out because my child has a sensitivity causing yeast to grow in his stomach and other organs.  We did this: bath twice a week in two packs of Aveno Oatmeal.  The oatmeal acts as a cleanser.  We even washed his hair with it.  Cool/luke warm water and limited time in the water.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:37 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Then we did not towel dry him. We pat him gently. I bought the Eucerin that has vaseline type jelly in it. Used to treat burns it says and comes in a tub. We caked it on the areas not covered by eczema as a preventative. We made sure he was not hot in his bed at night and dressed so he had plenty of breathing room. The humidifier was on at night to keep the air cool and it helps. Then we did a perscription non steroid creme for three days until the Monkey Balm arrived. A few days later and bumps were down! The CM member who gave me that tip was a true blessing!! And it works very well on acne too. Bonus for me. I use the stick now for him as a preventative. And will increase when he has a break out. I continue to limit the baths and do a spot wipe down in between so he is not stinky. That about it covers what we do. Good Luck.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:43 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Oh and I use California Baby....I like it but no go. Doesn't clear up the skin. But it is gentle.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2011