Should I let my 10-yr-old go to a PG-13 Movie Birthday Party for her best friend?

I do not let my daughter go to PG-13 movies or watch similarly rated TV shows. The movie in question isn't overly offensive, just not really a 10-yr-old movie. Is this the beginning of "Everyone else is doing it?" or am I being to sensitive?

CADreaming

Asked by CADreaming at 11:01 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• depends why it is rated so.. if there is just swearing and some man action (not sexual) why not. if it is sexual or anything that i would not be happy with for my kid no.. check WHY it is rated as so and I would watch it first.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:02 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Why would you bend your rules for a birthday. I figure, why do we have ratings if we are just going to walk all over them anyway. The rating is pg13 not pg10.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:04 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• hmm depend on why it was givin that rating
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 11:04 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• It depends on what the movie is and why it is rated that..you can go on line and find out why it is rated that..it will say things like sexual content, or adult language..I guess the other option is to go see the movie first and then decide..now a days it is very hard to find PG movies so maybe that is why. If you really don't want her to see the movie then I would just tell her she can't go to the party.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:06 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Depends on your child. I saw a lot of PG-13 movies when I was that age. I also had read adult books by then. But my mom thought I was mature enough to be able to handle it... you might not with your child. It's up to you and only you.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:06 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• No, I wouldn't. It would suck for my kids if that happened...but the mother of the other girl should be taking them to do something more age appropriate so all can be included.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 11:08 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• You can look the movie up here for a very complete description of the movie...good parts and bad.

http://www.pluggedin.com/

Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 11:09 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

•  

Why would you bend your rules for a birthday. I figure, why do we have ratings if we are just going to walk all over them anyway. The rating is pg13 not pg10.

Agreed. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:17 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Ratings are in place for a reason.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• No, and if the mother of the other little girl asks why your daughter isn't coming to the party, explain to her your reasons. She might change her mind and do something more age-appropriate.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:26 AM on Mar. 31, 2011