What is your opinion of people who are on food stamps?

I've been on them since I got disability, and I've been criticized by people more times than I care to count, and Im sick of the stereotyping that goes on.

lilmizmoore

Asked by lilmizmoore at 5:45 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• My opinion is that they must have fallen on hard times, and that must be really difficult.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 5:46 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I agree with BlueFrogMama. Of course there are people that abuse the system, but I'm willing to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and say that they're struggling. Hopefully this assistance is giving them what they need to get back on their feet.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 5:49 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I don't think anything about anyone using public assistance. I've been there before and I know how it feels. I hate stereotypes...with a passion. I wish people could learn to think outside of their bubble...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:50 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I agree, everyone has had rough times before... some just worse than others.... but then there are the people who over abuse it and stay on it for 10 years or so but hopefully everyone will get the help they need
    Pooky_mommy

Answer by Pooky_mommy at 5:54 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I don't think anything about it. People that judge need to get a life. I am glad there is a program to help out. Hugs to you
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:55 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Thanks for the responses. I brought this up to because presently in our paper's opinion section, people are arguing that they have a right to peek into a food stamp recipient's grocery cart to see what they are purchasing because it is THEIR tax money that is paying for it. I find this horribly degrating.

I had people comment to me about how much ground chuck I bought, and some comments came from the cashiers themselves.

Yup, people need to get out of the bubble for sure.
    lilmizmoore

Answer by lilmizmoore at 5:56 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Hey, I pay taxes too! If I'm on assistance then I also paid for what's in my cart at one point in time. That's ridiculous that people are so greedy. It's almost like they're jealous or something. Who cares what you're buying for food! GRRRRR
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:00 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• My opinion is that if you're on them then you obviously need them. I'm sorry people have treated you badly. You're obviosly not abusing the system but unfortunatly there are people that do and I find that sad. Those that judge and complain about the people in need and utilizing the system should walk a mile in the others shoes, so to speak, before they do. Unfortunetely there are people out there that abuse the system and they should be ashamed. Because people like you are sufferening for there shelfisness and stupitidy.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 6:04 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• uh that they're people?
    Anonymous

• I think that they're in need of help and are smart enough to seek it out. Services like food stamps were developed to help people in need. I myself were on them for 3 months when my husband was in Alaska and I was alone in Cali, big and pregnant and unable to work!
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 6:11 PM on Nov. 28, 2008