Would you let your 13 year old stay alone?

I am starting a new job tomorrow and it's full time so I'm bothered by what my 13 yo will do all day while I'm gone on her days off from school. How do you keep tabs on them while you are working? This is all new to me. I just wish she had a sibbling or someone else she could spend time with as I think she will be really bored all day. Any advice on what she can do or what you do in a case like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• check the laws in your state, im not sure what age they can be left alone and how long for.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:11 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Does she have any friends to hang out with? Chores?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I probably wouldn't all day long,,,is there a Y in your area? I am unsure if your talking about a day here or there or do you mean everyday during the summer? There are lots of daycamps etc,, I am looking for one for my son as we speak!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:14 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My girls are ages 9.7,and 6 and I can not wait to leave them home at times without a babysitter. If you trust her she will now what she can and can not do. Like watching tv, when making food just like sandwiches or the microwave and not the stove. Besure to remind her not to open the door to strangers, never tell anyone on the phone your not there. Call once in awhile from work to check on her. She might do better without friends around. Have a neighbor keep an eye on her if can. Just be sure she knows what you want her to do and maybe make a chart for somewhere of things she can and not do, numbers to call if need anything,Just make sure she is ready and I am sure hard at first but will get easier with time. I hope I helped some since I am not my girls are not old enough to be left alone but just some of the things I would do when that time comes up. Would just leave to run short errands and older to be home all day alone.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 11:17 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I had to do it too. Just make sure she has your number. I always made sure I made him lunch and that there were plenty of snacks. My son has X box live, so he can play with his friends. It's hard, but it's just every so often. Usually she will be at school. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:21 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I would think she'd be okay, just really bored being at home all day by herself! My 13 yo has autism, so I can't leave him but I have and do leave my 11 yo by himself for an hour or two. Is there a way you can set up anyone to pick her up and take her to a movie, the pool, etc. at least once/week - maybe friends of hers and you can reciprocate on the weekends or offer the other parent a small amount of money, just so she has something to look forward to.
    Also - check with your Parks and Rec Deparment, sometimes they have some really cool summer daycamps even for teens (sailing, rockclimbing, etc) and many of them offer a scholarship if you are lower income.

Answer by missanc at 11:21 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Oh - I thought you were talking about this summer, sorry! But I would think a day every now and then would be fine.

Answer by missanc at 11:22 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Give her chores to do, make a list of the things that need to be done. Make sure she doesn't have access to the internet, and tell her the chores need to be done before you return home. Also if she has any homework she needs to finish it, and then when she's all finished with that she can watch TV. I'm sure she'll be fine. She needs to understand you're doing what you need to do to pay the bills, so it's her responsibility to help out at home.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:22 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• It depends on trust, I would feel bad because she will be alone and will be alone all day but my twins have been left alone and they know not to open the front/back door, do not answer the home phone and when I call their cell phone one of them better answer also I have them call me to check up on me. It will be hard but if you can do a half day or a couple of hours just to see how it goes. GOOD LUCK!!!
    twinblessed

Answer by twinblessed at 11:24 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• At 13 (actually starting at 11) I stayed home alone all day on the days I had off from school and my parents worked. They gave me chores to do, had the neighbors who were home keep an eye on the house and called me every hour to make sure I was home (this would require a l;and line now). She should be fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Mar. 31, 2011