Question for hairdressers?

I have very long hair, down to my butt almost, and I have a friend who is a hairdresser. She offerred to "update" my look for me for free, which was very sweet of her. But I like my long hair, it took a long time to get this way, and I want to keep it. Now, every time I see my friend, she has a pocket full of pictures of what she would like to do to my hair. Pretty much all of them are chin length or shorter, most are razor cuts, which I HATE the look of. I have a rounded face, but a square jaw, and short hair looks HORRIBLE on me. I know she is trying to get me to do a very stylized cut so that I will have to go back to her every month for a fix up, which she will charge me 60$ for. I have told her over and over that I hate short hair ( btw, my friend has a very short razor cut, but it looks great on her little pixie face) and that I want to keep my long hair, and she just won't listen!! What do I say to get her to back off, but not ruin our friendship? Is there some kind of "hairdresser code" that I can use to get her to drop it?

alphamom26

Asked by alphamom26 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I have a license. No, your friend means no harm really. You'd be a great advertisement for her as a stylist ...maybe her motive. (Bragging rights). I too have long hair. I actually had someone walk up to me when I was 25 yrs old and tell me I was to old to have long hair to my waist and I should cut it to be more age appropriate. Ha! I laughed and replied, that her hair was to short and she should practice what she preached as short hair represented an old woman look. If you like your long hair, thats all that matters. If your friend want to do something for you for free...have her put a Redkin High gloss (no damage done to hair) coat on your hair to protect it from the weather, heat, brushing and makes your hair shine like a newly polished red car. Beautiful! And nothing more!!! Ohh ps..Im not 25 anymore and I have 4 almost grown kids and I STILL have long hair to my waist! I STILL get told Im attractive everyday! NICE!
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 11:26 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• OK, a good stylist needs to respect what the client is feeling. I could do the most fantastic cut and color but if it's not what they asked for it means nothing. I think your friend needs to understand that if she did this to a customer, the customer would probably complain, and things could get really ugly. Some stylists have what I call "master stylist syndrome". The don't worry, you'll like it, you just don't know it yet. I'm so awesome how could you not. The best thing you can do is keep saying NO.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:16 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• It is amazing to me how some people GET licenses honestly. The biggest thing is to LISTEN to the client. It doesn't sound like she cares very much what YOU want. I wouldn't let her cut it

*I graduated cosmetology school and have had people sho should not be allowed to touch hair cut mine- it turned out VERY badly. I would hold up hair at the angle I wanted it cut and she wet on and did what SHE wanted. I told her at least chin length in fron and when she was done I literally had hair about an inch or two long EVERYWEHRE I was righteously pissed. All while she stood there with her butt length hair GRRR. Anyhow- take it from me- if she won't listen DO NOT LET HER TOUCH YOUR HAIR!!!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:31 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• just tell her to back the heck off!! otherwise, she's about to lose a friend.
    and btw, if she's this pushy, i wouldn't even consider letting her color my hair. or even trim the ends. she needs to learn some professionalism and learn how to cater to her clients desires, not hers.
    that's probably why she isn't busy or people do no re-book. people want what they want, and unless it is damaging or looks completely hideous, you do what they like to see.
    a client is your billboard, as a hairdresser. their hair is free advertisement for the hairdresser. but one wrong move, and they become your worse nightmare.
    she just needs to shut her mouth, and leave you alone.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Okay, I am a stylist, and have you taken a good look at your hair? Maybe you do need a bit of an update, but nothing so extreme as she is suggesting...I would say honey I know you love what you do, but I LOVE my hair, so could we just not talk about it? I will let you know when and if I am ready to do something,,,,I don't think she is being rude,,it is kind of in our nature to want to "fix" everyone up! But if your hair is long, but dry or damaged or uneven colors,,,maybe think about doing something to make it look better,, if it is shiny, long and healthy looking just keep it!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:19 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I think she needs to respect you and if you want to keep your long hair but want to get it trimed then look into getting some long layers
    april_f

Answer by april_f at 3:59 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• As a person with few personal characteristics that I actually like about myself, my hair is very nice. It is a really pretty color of brown with little tints of red and big tints of dark blonde. My ends could use a trim, but the rest of my hair looks like a Pantene ad :) She just seems convinced that she knows better and will make me look like a movie star with a few snips. For the record, she is always complaining about losing clients because they didn't like her hair cuts....Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me....I guess I'll just have to keep repeating myself, though I think she is starting to take it personally :(
    alphamom26

Comment by alphamom26 (original poster) at 11:24 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• sho=who
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:32 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Keep your long and lovely hair - friend needs to drum up business somewhere else.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:52 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Its your hair, tell her you are not ready yet! She should understand, if not, I would question your friendship with her!
    malkaTZ

Answer by malkaTZ at 5:42 PM on Mar. 31, 2011