Why do parents by their children condoms?

Why do parents by their children condoms? Because they can't afford to buy them themselves? If that is the case then well, if they can't afford to buy condoms they shouldn't be having sex because condoms are not 100% effective and if they end up getting their girl pregnant or getting pregnant then mom and dad who bought the condoms are going to be buying pampers and baby stuff because their kids obviously won't have the money for a child if they can't afford condoms. Or is it because they are embarrassed about buying them? Well, then, if that is the reason then they aren't mature enough to be having sex. So, why condone an immature child with no money to have sex by buying them condoms????????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I'm guessing the embarrassment factor. I agree. If you're too embarrassed to buy them,you're not mature enough to have sex

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:25 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• "If you're too embarrassed to buy them,you're not mature enough to have sex"

In a way I agree with this, but if my child came to me and told me they were ready to have sex, I would try to discourage that decision, but after talking if they were still set on doing it, I would make sure they had protection. And bc pills do not protect against STDs, so condoms would be my choice to give them.

Answer by missanc at 11:27 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• because if they're too embarrassed, or whatever else reason, then they're going to be having unprotected sex. Just because we say "if they can't afford then they shouldn't be having sex" doesn't mean they're not going to have sex. I'd much rather provide condoms then not and end up with a grandchild at a young age.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 11:28 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Just because we might think they aren't mature enough to have sex, doesn't mean they aren't going to do it anyways.  No, condoms aren't the end all be all of protection but I would at least want to make sure they had them.  I agree, they shouldn't be having sex period.  But I wonder how many times a kid went to their parent for help on this matter and then ended up pregnant because the parent refused.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:28 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I buy them for mine because they cant afford them and are sexually active. Spending $5 on condoms is alot less expensive then having a teen parent with their baby in my house. Second, I have always told mine to come to me when they are sexually active because it is not just a pregnancy issue, but a health issue. I would rather get them for them, and show them how they can go to the health dept and get them free than be sorry.

Answer by gemgem at 11:35 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I'd rather give her condoms than have her get pregnant or sick and that's the bottom line. Kids are going to have sex if they want to and we need to do what we can to protect them.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 11:36 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I wouldn't even say it's because the kid is embarassed... I'd say it's because most kids (guys, especially) probably would just rush into having sex without thinking "oh hey, I should get condoms first". It's not like the parent is saying "Hey, child of mine, go have sex!" by giving them condoms... it's saying "IF you're going to have sex, be safe."
    I'd do it for my son, and if I ever have a girl, I'll put her on the pill once she hits a certain age. Just to say that WHEN they decide they're ready, they had better be safe about it.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 11:28 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I would say that condoms are a lot safer than NO condoms but YES,it would be a whole lot better if kids just had the brains to avoid sex when they are young. But there aren't that many brainy kids and not enough parents who will actually talk with their kids about sex. SO.....I think if a kid says they want to get condoms at least THAT is a smart decision. Buy them.
    Telling kids the truth: that sex for no good reason is a mistake would be the best thing. BUT if you can'texplain WHY, then buy the condoms. LOL.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:29 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Because although in an ideal world, everyone woudl wait for maturity and readiness for sex but here in the real world, kids don't wait, they act on their feelings and try to rush to adulthood and "fit in" also -so I would much rather buy my son condoms than have him risk getting diseases and getting someone pregnant.. money or no money, I would want him prepared because kids ARE kids and don't wait.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:36 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I'd rather buy my kids condoms than a baby carriage.

Let's face it, we all want our kids to wait, but the reality is that many will not. I would rather my child be having no sex until at least college, but if they are having sex, I would like it to be safe sex. If that means I am going to pack a raincoat for them every time they go out, so be it. I have very honest conversations with mostly dd (dh tends to talk to the boys) and have told her that I will support her choices, but she needs to be safe and damn it, I'm not ready to be a grandma yet. Luckily, she still "hates" boys.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:36 AM on Mar. 31, 2011