Does walking really help?

This may sound like a stupid question, but I'm wondering if walking really is beneficial late in pregnancy? I walk a lot with my daughter, but as of late even the shortest walks leave me with a lot of Braxton-Hicks contractions, sore joints and an excruuuuciating pelvic ache.

Should I keep walking? Or am I doing more harm than good? I'm almost 36 wks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Well, they saying walking helps to speed up labor in late pregnancy, so the braxton hicks may turn in to real ones in a week or so if you keep it up. Some women walking really helps them progress and others it's just useless. It's not going to do any harm though, you are far enough along
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 5:50 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• It's good for helping the baby move down. If you're uncomfortable you should only do as much as you think you can handle. Don't over-do anything. You'll just be sore and tired.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:52 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Walking is definately good...will move things along.
    lilmizmoore

Answer by lilmizmoore at 5:53 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• HAHAHAHA....well....I am at my 39 week mark, up until this past Monday - I walked everyday....for at least 7 hours at my job - I'm a NA (nursing assistant) so am (was) constantly on my feet. All I've gotten is 1 cm. dialated for the past 3 weeks, sore and crampy.....but I believe its good to keep moving for circulation at the least. Everyone is different though. Good luck!
    itsaboy1208

Answer by itsaboy1208 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Personally I don't think walking late in pregnancy is beneficial at all if you haven't walked the entire pregnancy. But, if you've walked consistently it's fine to continue, just don't allow yourself to become exahsted and stop at the first sign of pain.
    kristinas8

Answer by kristinas8 at 8:02 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Thanks everyone. I have always been a big walker and have walked through this whole pregnancy, but I didn't have this much soreness and exhaustion with my first child. I think I will keep walking; I'll just try to make shorter trips. I'm hoping maybe this little one will come a tad early (due Dec 30th)...but then I know every woman hopes for the same thing! lol
    Anonymous