My youngest has a low grade fever 101.6 any ideas on how to lower it?

my youngest son has a low grade fever of 101.6 degrees & came a month early... i know they his doctors off told me before he was two months that if it went over 100.4 to call the doctors office & once it hits 103.0 after two months to call them...but he's got a temp (fever) of 101.6 & he is over two months old I've been monitoring him for the last hour...he's currently sleeping...lightly dressed with a blanket over him...but does anyone have any other ideas on how to lower his temp with out medication?

proudmommy_0811

Asked by proudmommy_0811 at 11:46 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well your using the right kind,, sometimes those ear ones can be off, if you call the doctor,, they will tell you exactly what kind and how much to give,, it has been a minute that I had an infant, so I don't want to tell you wrong,, just call, you will feel better, and so would I,, LOL! Worry Warts unite!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:56 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I'm a ped's nurse... as a general rule, we tell parents that if a child is less than 3 months old and they have a temp over 100.4 rectal, then need to be seen by a doctor... I would never let a temp go as high as 103 in a baby that young ESPECIALLY if the baby is a preemie.... corrected age he's only about a month old.... I would call his pediatrician asap and see if they want him to be seen.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Try a luke warm bath.

Answer by gemgem at 11:48 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• baby motrin and run a luke warm bath and let him sit in it as it cools down, this helps bring the fever down.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 11:48 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• sorry, skip the motrin didn't see the no meds part.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Take the blanket off. If he complains replace the blanket with a sheet, it is lighter and will keep him cooler, but still give him the security of a blanket. Also put a cool washcloth on the back of his neck.

How old is he?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:49 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• You could try a lukewarm bath,,,nothing too cool, but keep an eye out,,and depending on what kind of thermometer your using, his temp maybe a bit higher,,I am a worry wart,,,so I would call the doctor, but is there a reason, why you don't want to try tylenol? I am going to guess that is what the doc will say,, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:50 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I would skip the cool bath. When I have a fever my skin hurts like crazy, so I am guessing it ill hurt him too. You can run some cooler water in sink and just put his feet in, that should be less traumatizing for the poor baby.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:52 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• i was told to take rectal temps & i am a worry wart too especially since he was a month early ... i just don't know how much medication to give him .... at this age... that's the only reason ... but if he complains imma call the doctors
    proudmommy_0811

Comment by proudmommy_0811 (original poster) at 11:52 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• thanks momma :) yes we have to unite ... lol but i will def. call them & ask since i don't wanna have him suffering but he's up eating now & dozing on & off but he's full of smiles & giggles on the plus side
    proudmommy_0811

Comment by proudmommy_0811 (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Mar. 31, 2011