Bankruptcy

If you filed, when did you get to the point where things were back to normal with your credit and getting regular interest credit card again ( just to have in case of emergency ) did it wipe your credit card debt at all? I can't remember what the law changed to - I have a friend going through a rough time financially and it was just one of my suggestions so I was wondering first hand what it wipes out and when things get "back to normal"

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 11:48 AM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Money & Work

• Advise her to go to a non-profit consumer credit counseling service.  A reputable one is Money Management International. Their website is: MoneyMangement.org, and their phone number is 866-515-2227. 

Anonymous

• I have no clue about this , but wil give you a bump. These days I'm sure this is becoming common :(
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 11:51 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• It depends on what type she needs to file, some you get on a payback plan, others wipe out your debt 100%. If she is a homeowner, most likely she will be on the type that is payed back, she can go to a lawyer for an consultaion free of charge, then she would get all of the facts!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:53 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• It takes many years
    Nitestalker

Answer by Nitestalker at 10:15 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• 10 years. But you really shouldn't worry about credit and credit cards. Your credit score is a made up number that has nothing to do with your income. If you pay for everything with cash and live within your means to do so, there is no reason for credit. Guess what? I'm debt-free and it feels good.
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 10:19 PM on Apr. 1, 2011