Soccer Mom Anxiety

I signed my 3 year old up for his first soccer lessons. He is full of energy and loves kicking balls. I certainly want to encourage him and expose him to new activities but I am on par with a woman who can't swim taking her kids to mommy and me swim classes. I failed gym not once, but twice. The class he is involved in has mild parent participation and while I he is thrilled about the idea I am having some mild anxiety.

What does a real soccer mom wear? Is there some sort of cheat book that I can look at to brush up on my skills? Is there any special dress requirements for DS that a normal mom would know? Can soccer mom's get a doctors note like in highschool gym?

Any advice would be appreciated. Not afraid to feel like an a** I just don't want to embaress my son.

hotelmom123

Asked by hotelmom123 at 12:13 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• Honey, relax! He's three! Im hoping no mom is their to judge what you and your son look or dress like. If they do shame on them! You should just be excited you are getting you son involved at such a young age! Congrats and have fun with it. The coaches will tell you all you need to know! Best of luck
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Most 3 year olds don't have the social savvy to be embarrassed. That's a good thing. Having participated in one of these classes, I can honestly say that you are stressing over your own issues, not your son's. Wear whatever you want although high heels sink in sod so running shoes are best and you might want to wear pants or shorts that you could potentially touch your toes in. No one is being rated or ranked. Take this as a learning experience for you as well as your son.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 12:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• LOL hotelmom message me anytime. My kids play about every sport, BUT soccer. I would guess its the same though? Tshirts and comfortable pants and comfortable tennis shoes is what I wear to all of their sports. For practices for your son unless otherwise specified just play clothes and cleats I guess. My dd wears that for softball. If you cant do things it isnt a big deal either, you dont need a note. You just say you arent feeling well, and if you dont understand something ask them to show you how. My exp is the other moms and coaches all work together and are understanding. First year moms are always taken under the wing.

Answer by gemgem at 12:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• wear comfy clothes & sneakers. No worries...it's for the kids no the grown ups. You won't embarrass your son. I remember getting jitters any time i used to have to hang out with other parents at DD's school. But, i just found out that they are all just as weird as the next person.

You don't have to know a thing about soccer...he is only 3 & they'll pretty much just be learning how to kick the ball around. Enjoy it!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:19 PM on Mar. 31, 2011