2 year old and nap question

my 2 year old is driving me crazy! he wont go to sleep like he used to. he was so great about it for nap and for bed. For nap i would hold my 9 month old and nurse him to sleep and Nolan (2 year old) would lay next to use and i would rub his back or pat his but untill he was out. he would go to sleep quick, 10 mins at the most. and then... all of a sudden, he would nap great but for bed time he would roll and roll all over the bed, and talk to me, and try to sit up and try and play with his brother. untill finally an hour or more later he would pass out, and mind you it wasnt to early either, i thught that maybe i was tyring to get him to bed to early and i tried later times, same thing. no matter if it was 7 or if it was 10 or 11.

yesterday he didnt nap, he lay in bed next to hisbrother playing with his hands untill Levi, his borther, woke up, so for about an hour he just lay there. and was good all day, cranky at night b/c he was tired and feel asleep for bed in about 20 mins.

so...... is he over naps?? or will he get over this?? and keep naping?? i feel like if he stoped napping my life would be OVER! haha, i wouldnt be able to do anything, clean, shower, ext..

xotatiannaxo

Asked by xotatiannaxo at 12:28 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe try to lay him down on his own, without anyone or anything to distract him? Could help. He could also be overtired and fighting the sleep when he gets like that. My 2 year old is the same way.If I miss that window of time to get her to bed and fall asleep..she'll stay up acting crazy for like an extra hour or two,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Maybe you need to try putting him in a room by himself.. You can at least have quiet time so you can keep you sanity (lol) My DD is 4 and still takes her naps daily!! And I've tried to stop her napping because I thought she was getting too old but she is cranky without a nap and would fall asleep on dinner.. So I started to put her for a nap again!! Good luck!! Nap time is us sahm's break time!! We need it!!
    MissLoveLyfe

Answer by MissLoveLyfe at 12:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• He may be just going through a faze of not napping. Some kids go back and forth depending on the growth spurts. Dont stress over it yet. He will probably go back to napping with the next growth spurt.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My 3 year old stopped napping around 2 and now my 19 month old has stopped napping. It makes for an easier bed time for us, so I'm ok with no naps.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My 2 1/2 year old fights naps, I think her napping days are over. I understand the need for a break for our own sanity, too. It is frustrating at best. Try putting him in a bed by himself and at least let him have quiet time. Good luck to you.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• There are days that I'd say to my dh that my 2 yo is not taking his naps anymore then the next day he sleeps like an angel. He has his schedule for naps. My dh just laughs when I'm calling him to let him know that our 2 yo is napping again.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 1:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• my dd went through a no nap phase.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:06 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Sounds like he's too distracted and may need to go to bed by himself. I couldnt sleep either if I had 2 other people in bed with me.
    Anonymous

• hes not getting enough naps. which is causing him to be so tired he can't sleep. increase either the nap time or increase the number of naps he gets a day. let him toss and turn during the naps and the nighttime will fix itself. mine did this and they told me to start giving him a nap again. now he takes a 2hr afternoon nap and drops by 930 and i wake him up at 830. but that is going to change cause he has to be up dressed and fed and awake enough to not throw a fit by 730am cause he starts a special preschool in a month. so I am having to find him another sleep routine.
    opinionatedmom

Answer by opinionatedmom at 12:30 PM on Apr. 1, 2011