staffordshire bull terriers

anyone got experiance with this breed , I have one and she is 6mnths old and she is so stubborn when I am trying to train her . I tell her firm no's and sometimes she goes mad at me barking at me and it sometimes frightens me and she is still a puppy .what do I do ,I also have younger children so I dont want them to get bullied by her . we love her to bits

loulou332

Asked by loulou332 at 5:56 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Pets

• well i dont know about the specific dog but i can help with a way to get her to listen better ok so NO is a very common word they don't know the different between spelling or the meanings so instead of using the word NO try using Ut uh or something that isnt a common word cause no & know to the dog will be the same so you might be talking to ur mom and she/he hears no when they are eating their food they may think ur scolding them.

good obedience class would be petsmart if you live close to one
    they are positive reinforcement no choke chains pinch collars no beating the dog, treat based
    109.00 for entire 8 week course one hour a week what ever time they have on the calender that fits your schedule. it can go from puppy up to advanced / click a trick

Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 7:54 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• They are an EXCELLENT breed and whatever you teach her she will do. They are very loyal dogs. BUT if you are having trouble training her I highly reccomend obedience classes. They were bred to do whatever they are taught to do, so if your methods (along with her personality of course) are teaching her to get angry and disobedient, then you will have problems later on in life.

Make sure you are clear about her breed when you call obedience trainers. Unfortunately there is still a lot of prejudice against them, and you want someone who is familiar with the breed instead of hateful or scared.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 6:01 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• get her into doggy school... fast!!! also, get her fixed, helps lower the bullying attitude, also, when she goes to school, so do you...
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 1:36 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I have one. Well it turns out he's half bull mastiff as well so he's 130lbs now. Anyway, I would do puppy classes. This gets the dog socialized with other dogs and humans. It also helps you to know how to train your dog. Remember anything you 'put up with' now will only get worse when the dog is older. So if you don't want the pup on the couch when it's older...don't let it on now. If you don't want the pup chasing children, don't let it now.
    PUPPY CLASSES...no matter how hard to get in your schedule ...you should do it. If you just read how and do it at home the dog won't get the same stimulation as in class...like with the other dogs and people. Good LUCK
    Makieno

Answer by Makieno at 8:45 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• <--- petsmart trainer and everyone is correct its best to get them started at this age before you have issues wit them later

number one reason why most dogs end up in shelters is because of behavioral issues and ppl not wanting to take charge n get the training
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 7:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2008