New Digital Camera help!

I just bought a new digital camera with my income tax refund (hubby misplaced our old one). It's a Nikon Coolpix L110 and so far I really like it(and the fact that I got it with a coupon at Costco helped too)! I still have to learn a lot of the features on it-for example I was recently taking pictures of my 4 year old excercising and I wasn't sure which mode was best to use. I tried auto and then sports continuous. The pictures came out OK but not great. Are there any other modes I should have used? Also I dont know ONE THING about adding photos to computers, sharing them, etc. So if anyone knows any resources for beginners aside from taking a local college course, please let me know! Thanks!

purplerobin

Asked by purplerobin at 12:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Technology

• You can change the resolution for a crisper pic, and try reading the instruction manual for starters.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I'm reading the instruction manual, but I'm also trying to capture precious moments as they happen-aint like you can get em back! Also do you change it to a higher resolution for crisper pics?
    purplerobin

Comment by purplerobin (original poster) at 12:38 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Yes a higher resolution will give you crisper pic's. It really is worth taking the time to read the manual. Every camera is different. I'll give you a bump. Maybe other Mom's will know more.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Thanks, Vbruno!
    purplerobin

Comment by purplerobin (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• The manual will tell you how to get the pics off the camera and onto the computer.

When you're taking photos of action (exercising, playing with the dog) there are two things to try (if your camera has these settings, which it should): an action/sports setting, which is designed to take the pics where they freeze the motion for a crisp, nonblurry image, and using the burst setting. The burst setting is often a button that you push and it will take a certain number of photos all right in a row, usually 2-5. Burst is great for a motion shot that you want to catch but can't be sure of the exact moment you want it, as it can take the picture much faster than you can press the button. It's also good for catching movement as it is so fast that, like the action setting, it freezes the motion.

Higher res is also good, and get some good editing software (I like GIMP, and it's totally free!) to touch up photos later.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:31 PM on Apr. 1, 2011