Stomach Sleeping?!

My son is almost six months old. He likes to sleep on his side and his back for the most part, but here lately, I find when I get him up in the morning, he's on his stomach. All of the reading I've done warns against this because it increases the risk of SIDS, so naturally, I'm a bit concerned that he shouldn't be on his stomach. I have one of those sleep guards for him, the ones that are supposed to keep them on their back, but my son rolls over on his stomach any way. Am I being paranoid or should I try to keep him off his stomach? Any suggestions?

TheEmpress78

Asked by TheEmpress78 at 5:59 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Once they can roll over and get there themselves, they are fine on their stomachs. Tummy sleeping isn't really a SIDS risk, but a suffocation risk. (Suffocation deaths are often misdiagnosed as SIDS) So once he has enough stregnth and control to move his head if his face is against the crib, the risk is basically gone.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 6:02 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I'm not 100% sure but I think SIDS greatly decreases after 6mos. My daughter 5mos sleeps on her tummy for the last 2mos, she won't sleep any other way. Doc said it was fine she can roll over. Make sure you only have a fitted sheet not bumpers. Miniware makes great thin fleece pj.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 6:03 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• He's too old for SIDS
    Anonymous

• My ped said that it is safe once they are able to roll over. Plus, you can't really stop them from doing it at that point. I still continued to put him down on his back, but I didn't worry about keeping him that way. If your baby is strong enough to roll over, he's strong enough to avoid getting into a dangerous position where he could suffocate. Trying to stop him from rolling by putting things/devices in the crib can actually be more dangerous now that he's strong enough to roll. So just let him go. It's okay now.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 6:03 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I have the same problem with my son, but i see it this way, if he can roll himself over..then theres nothing i can do..im not going to get up every 30 minutes to turn himj back over. as for SIDS..once he starts rollin over u will be fine, he now has enough strength to turn himself where theres a problem..its a natural instinct
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 6:42 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• He is not to old for SIDS, and your correct tummy sleeping puts him at a higher risk for SIDS. However, there is good news, babies 3-6 months are at the highest risk and he's almost out of that stage. Also, once he is able to roll over and hold his head up on his own it is okay to leave him. Try to start him out on his back everytime you lie him down but if he rolls over on his tummy there's no need to run in every 30 mins to turn him back over on his back. Good luck momma.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 6:57 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• It's okay, he is pretty much passed the SIDS stage, if he is rolling over on his own, it's not going to hurt him to sleep on his tummy. IF he is a crib sleeper there are some things you may want to do though. Remove any bumpers along the crib, his mobile, and any other toy or object he may roll into. This will decrease any other risk factors and your baby will be safe and healthy.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:33 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• It's perfectly fine to sleep on the belly. Especially if the child is old enough to position himself that way.
    kristinas8

Answer by kristinas8 at 7:58 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I'm sorry to say they don't know what causes SIDS they just think it's that I have two children 1 and 3 and they have always slept on the stomach and they are still here.
    mommy20507

Answer by mommy20507 at 8:31 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• The baby should be fine on his stomach but if your concerned I bought my daughter one of those doughnut shaped support pillows. It hold her in place very well and she feels secure and warm.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 8:36 PM on Nov. 28, 2008