Is it really bad to be leaking amniotic fluid? How do you know if you are?

I've been having a little bit of discharge, and it's like watery, I know people say amniotic fluid smells sweet or like sugar water. Is there any other way to know if thats what it is. No one will answer at the place i go to see the Dr. til monday.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Discharge is normal. But if it is a continuous flow or trickle and not just something that's happening a few times a day, I think I'd head over to the hospital L&D ward and get it checked out. They can do a quick and simple test to see if it's amniotic fluid. Better to be safe than sorry. They get visits like that all the time. My sister went to the hospital once thinking her water had broken, but it turned out that she just peed her pants. Lol...
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 6:16 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• If you really think it's amniotic fluid go to the hospital... they will just use a simple strip that changes colors to tell what fluid it is. Better safe than sorry but other discharge is normal. How far along are you?
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 6:17 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I'm 27 weeks, is it really bad if thats what it is?
    Anonymous

• It's not great, and you'd want to get medical attention as soon as possible if that's the case. So if I were you, I think I'd call the hospital and ask to be transferred to the labor and delivery nurse's station. You ought to be able to talk to someone that way, and hopefully make arrangements to come in so you can skip the ER.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 6:21 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Oh, and good luck! It's probably just regular discharge. Everything will probably be just fine. I had a few scares around that point in my pregnancy, and it was no fun. But you'll be okay. Hang in there!
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 6:22 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• If you sit down for a while and then stand up its probably your water. This happened to me. I thought i was peeing a little, i didn't quite feel my bladder. Just go to the hospital its a quick test. I'd bring your hospital bag.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 6:26 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Yes, it is bad if thats what it is. If the rupture doesn't repair itself, which I'm not even sure if it can, then the baby will have to be delivered with in 72 hrs, because of risk of infection.
    kristinas8

Answer by kristinas8 at 7:56 PM on Nov. 28, 2008