Origin of the peace sign

There are many stories that explain the origin of the peace sign. I was wondering... does anyone know which story is correct?

(I put this in religious debate, because every story seems to have some kind of religious history to it)

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 1:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Religious Debate

• That's an interesting question! I've never really thought about it, though I love the peace sign. Here's a bump for encouraging me to learn something new today! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:39 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Um actually it started as an anti-nuke symbol using the semaphore (military flag signals) for the letters "N" and "D," standing for "nuclear disarmament"
    Never heard of any religious connection.
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 1:19 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• steven king was still a kid in 1966, he would have been seventeen. and that site bills itself as being a resource for educators, and is run by a university? wow.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:23 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• that article is way off Hearts in Atlantis was written in 1999. Huge Stephen King fan here. I believe that Rachel is correct.
    daps

Answer by daps at 1:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I'm going to go with the Nuclear Disarmment theory since it appears to be the most logical. Some of the others just seem so far-fetched and contradictory to "peace" that it baffles me how anyone can believe they were the origin of the peace symbol.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:38 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I thought it originated in the 1960's when the Hippies decided the symbol on the hoods of Merceds Benz cars would look like the "V" which also means"peace'. i never read that it was a religious symbol.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 1:13 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I never knew the origins, and many years ago I read a Stephen King book "Hearts In Atlantis" that has an interesting explanation of it. I can't remember what the book said the original peace sign meant, so I tried to look it up and found this: http://americanwiki.pbworks.com/w/page/33122540/The-Peace-Symbol-and-Hippie-Culture   Am I just reading this incorrectly, or is it saying the novel itself sparked the peace sign?

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 1:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• What about this?

http://www.teachpeace.com/peacesymbolhistory.htm

corbysmom531

Comment by corbysmom531 (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• daps, I may have just been reading the article incorrectly. I need more coffee. I agree with the ND explanation.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 1:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Oh no Kelly that's what it said. You didn't read anything wrong. I had to read the article twice. As it said the book was written in 1966, then pull out my copy of the book to see the date.
    daps

Answer by daps at 1:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2011