How do you feel about those toddler harnessess?

Personally I plan on getting one if my son is anything like me. I used to run around and talk to everyone. In today's society I feel that my child needs to be protected. He can either sit in a cart or I'll get one of those cute harnessess. I see them as a precautionary to keep my child close and safe. I'd like to see some perverted kidnapper take my kid when he's attached to me.. NO bashing please. If you don't like them, please state that and move along without telling ME or anyone else why we are bad parents or why we should see things your wayl. =)

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 6:24 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in General Parenting

• I used them for my sons. I sometimes need them still....they're 17 and 15...lol
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 6:33 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I plan on getting the monkey harness ($10 at Wal-Mart I think) when Joss is two or so...whatever age kids figure out they can run away from you, lmao. I probably won't use it unless I absolutely have to, like in the mall or in stores with huge crowds or huge parking lots. I personally don't see what the big deal is. Safety is the most important thing to me. She's not going to remember me using it, anyway.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:30 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• if I was in a crowded area I would totally use one. I don't give a sh%t what people think. They can disappear in a second and you will be terrified. They have those little locaters now that you can clip on their clothes.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 6:30 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I was completely against harnesses until my son turned two. I swore I would never do that, but they are a God send. Now that my daughter sees her big brother use one she has to too, she even likes to wear hers around the house.
    maggieradford

Answer by maggieradford at 7:16 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I didn't have a cell phone 17 years ago so I couldn't have been on it while my children were on their leash. I wasn't lazy while using it..that's funny. I used them when we went to very crowded places like the zoo...etc. If you don't like to see parents using them then that's your choice but don't think that only lazy parents use them. I know that while I wasn't holding them or they weren't in a stroller I felt safer knowing they were attached to me in some form. It gave them a sense of independence and me a piece of mind. My sons, at 17 and 15, are safe now and know about safety. Being on a leash at the zoo when they were todedlers didn't hamper their learning about safety.....lol
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 7:22 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• No, I think it's like a dog on a leash.... I'd rather put them in the cart or use a stroller. Just my opinion.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:24 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I don't like the idea either, I agree with ashjoe05. I would rather use a cart, stroller or teach my son to stay by my side and hold mine or daddy's hand. However, I do see why parents would want to use one in places like...Disneyland or the Zoo. God help you if you lose your child in one of those places. You are the parent and you know what is right for you and your child so do what you think is best. My son is not that age yet...and this is coming from a mommy who said my son is never going to sleep in our bed or my son will never have a rash...I'll change him so often he won't have the chance...but things aren't always what they seem. Like they say your the best mom in the world before you actually become a mom.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 7:37 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• britni11...I like your answer. What works for some Mom's may not work for others. I've played the "my son won't ever" game as well. I've learned never to say never and I pick and choose my battles daily...LOL
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 7:43 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• We love them. My son loves to wear his monkey around the apartment. I see no problem with them. Not all children are going to want to stay in a cart or stroller and their arms do get tired holding your hand all the time because of the height difference. So with the leash they get to roam and have their freedom while still being safe. And as for it being like a leash for a dog...well it is. Children are like dogs. You have to teach them to sit, stay, talk, house/potty train them, etc.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:47 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Of course if you can't control your child then you probably need one, but mine rode in a stroller untill they were old enough to obey, holding hands works better in my opinion. A dog's leash wasn't meant to control the dog, it is a precautionary for an out of control dog. Dog's can listen and obey their master, children having a much more advanced mind can do the same.
    kristinas8

Answer by kristinas8 at 7:49 PM on Nov. 28, 2008