Does anyone have a child with club foot? PLEASE ANSWER

At my last ultrasound they were concerned that my baby may have a club foot... they said if it was it looked like a mild case of it an was fixable with casting. Has anyone been through this?

firsttimer338

Asked by firsttimer338 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My ex-step child (i hate saying that bu it's true) has club feet. I used to get pissed because his grandma would make him wear these HORRIBLE boots on his feet while he slept. There was a metal bar connecting them & the boot forced his feet outward. I hated it for him & used to take them off. He hated them & could not sleep well with them on. They had him in all kinds of leg braces, but we always decided not to use them because it sucked so bad for him. His grandma was hell bent on him using them, but we weren't. So many Dr.'s were saying how he would need them...but this ONE Dr. said he won't need them & that it's not as bad as some might think.

He was also born with a cleft pallet...poor fella had a hard life when he was a baby. But, he had a lot of support.

Well....he is 13 now & you can't tell at all. I know some kids have it worse than others, so you will really have to make certain judgment calls after he is born.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I also went to a ultrasound and said the same thing Im due in May, I pray everything is ok
    vania_jmz

Answer by vania_jmz at 2:10 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I am so worried I dont want my son to have to struggle through life. They said they didnt know for sure it could have just been the position he was in and the position of his foot but they wanted us to be aware of it. An I pray for your baby aswell my dear... its scary.
    firsttimer338

Comment by firsttimer338 (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My son has radial club hand, but I don't think it's the same thing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• my uncle and cousin both have that... they have it REALLY bad though both are crippled from it.. (both limp bad when walking and legs hurt) my cousin had to have several surgeries to "fix" it and they didn't help a whole lot.. mind you my uncle is in his 60's and my cousin is in his 30's so i am sure they have advanced since then.. I remember the last time my cousin had surgeries he was a teenager I can remember him in casts and on crutches he was really good at those things by the time he was done!
    If your baby has a mild case of it I wouldn't worry to much, be greatful that he doesn't have to go through what others do that are REALLY bad.. Go by what the doctor says and relax. It hasn't stopped either one of my family members from doing what they want to do.. I bet by now if he has a mild case you won't even be able to tell by the time they help him out! good luck to you and your baby I bet it won't be as bad as you think!
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 3:59 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My nephew is 2 and has club foot. My sister adopted him because his birthmother gave him up because she didnt want him because of it. They adopted him when he was 11 months old. He has a very severe case where his feet were bent all the way around where the bottom of his feet could touch the back of his leg. He had 2 surgerys and now looking at his feet you can barely tell. His feet are slightly smaller than what they should be. They dont make kids wear those metal braces anymore. His ankles are weak so he wears plastic braces that fit inside his shoes and go slightly higher than his ankles. The doctors say he will walk someday but it will take him lots of therapy for the next year or so before he can do it all by himself. He has a severe case and is doing very well. If your baby has a mild case then it wont even be a big deal, try not to worry.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 4:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2011