How do I get closer with mil????

I just stopped caregiving for my mom and dad in another state. I did not call mil as often to her. So when I got back she would never call me during the day, only at night when her son is home. My hubby defends her to no end...So what can I do to change this??? I am so done with the 6:30 at night phone callwhen he is home. Then to add insult to injury he will go next door to do odds and ends for her. I am so so done with this bs.. Help...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Relationships

• I would invite her to lunch or ask her to go shopping..You may even consider calling her durning the day so that she doesnt call at six thirty...I just go shopping, or lunch with mil and she is nice to me...But she can be a bitch and I just ignore what she tells me half the time because I have to get along with her because of my husband...
    shelle21

Answer by shelle21 at 2:20 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• She lives next door? Yuck! He's a mamma's boy? If you are sincere, and not just b/c DH wants you to get closer to her, take lunch and the kids over to visity?
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 2:07 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Ya'll built or put a house on their land? Nobody going anywhere anytime soon?
    Hmm....I'll pray for ya.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• She lives next door and Calls? Damn!! If she's that stand offish then let her be. It's Her LOSS for not trying to be closer to you. But id be moving FAR FAR away if my MIL lived next door to me. Im lucky My MIL lives in Calabria Italy.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• On one hand, she should understand that you were probably really busy with caregiving for your family, but on the other hand, you should have kept the lines of communication open with her while you were out there, including your DH who obviously "went home to mommy" for support while you were gone. Keep making the effort with her....after all you've got to live with her right? lol
    Anonymous

• yesmaam, cool profile name, I am sincere...I think this caregiving thing made lose a lot of my friendship with my mil...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• No we are very seperate households. She does not drive and does not go out much, she has an eye disease...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• OMG, that is where she is from! She was born in Calabria. My hubby is half sicilian too, so you know what I have to deal with , stubborn,domineering types ...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I would be thankful if my MIL didn't want to have contact with me. Honestly, start packing and find a home FAR FAR away from her. Best way to improve your relationship is to have A LOT of miles between you. Good luck (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:47 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• no, I do not think so, not happening...I'll figure it out.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:55 PM on Mar. 31, 2011