English Bulldog Puppy

My english bulldog is almost 1 years old. He is the breed of dog I've always wanted BUT he is so bad. Recently we got him a pin and house so he can be outside. He is just to powerful, not being aggressive, but he is just a puppy. He jumps up on us and has knocked me down once. I have two other dogs who are great. (They are wieenie dogs) I really want my English bulldog to be a lazy well behaved dog. Do you think that he will outgrow his hyper-ness and settle down so we can bring him back inside? If so, when?

MKSers

Asked by MKSers at 6:27 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Pets

• We have an American Bulldog and he was just a hyperactive NUT when we got him! He has knocked me down before, all 110 pounds of him! He is 2 1/2 years old now and is a very loving and snuggly dog. He lays around the house all day long...not active at all. But the second we open the backdoor to let him outside he runs like a madman with our pit bull. They chase each other around the backyard and pounce and get out all their energy before coming back in. He no longer jumps! He stays in our yard without a fence or chain...he's a good boy.

I suggest getting your dog fixed is he hasn't been already. Also, make sure you really take the time to work with him. They need lots of attention! Take the dogs for walks. It might be hectic at first (it was hell for us) but he will get used to it. Our dog walks beautifully now on a leash..no pulling!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:43 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• you need to be firm with him and tell him NO JUMPING... how about calling a trainer?
    CamnJaydensMom

Answer by CamnJaydensMom at 7:08 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• keep being firm with him and don't let him get away with it once possibly look into a dog trainer I had one once and she was about three years old before the hyperness went away and turned into a lazy little bull dog
    one_white_rose

Answer by one_white_rose at 7:25 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• my parents bred and raised english bulldogs my whole life. we had 8 in 22 years. they are GREAT dogs. i love them. 7 of the 8 were well behaved and lazy. then we decided to keep an all white male. he jumped, he barked, he dug, he was aggressive with females. he died at 12. still doing those things. it was in his temperament. i would definitely recommend obedience training.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 10:39 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Thank you all for the answers. Im going to try really hard to work with him with the baby is down for a nap everyday. She loves him and giggles around him. He is just to hyper with her! Thank you so much for your answers.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 7:14 PM on Nov. 29, 2008