Any ideas for son's 18th birthday when I have NO money?

Thanks for all the great ideas so far!  With of course the exception of Anonymous....LOL I do have a job, and have taught my son to respect the value of having employment. But the last few years all my money has gone to bills and keeping the roof over our head and I have missed the 16th birthday (a big one!) and now the 18th seems like it will be "put off" too.  It is just the guilt grasping for help I guess.  Thank you all so much!confused

Dahis

Asked by Dahis at 2:14 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• We dont spend alot for their 18th birthdays. We make a cake, favorite dinner, and thats about it. Most of mine at 18 had plans of their own anyway and were mobile with their own cars lol.

Answer by gemgem at 2:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Wow Anonymous - Uncalled for.

Ask your son what HE wants to do. Be open and honest with him about the financial situation. But if you can swing it, do something simple like a pizza and movie party at your house with friends over to have fun.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:25 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• if you can get family to help, or even if you have help w/ food, have a little get together at home with family and close friends.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 2:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Make his Favorite dinner for him. Let him borrow the car? Give him an IOU for a later gift?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I do love the IOU idea! Put something creative on the computer and print them out. Maybe: 1 week of cleaning his room, or 1 week of making his bed, use of car, whatever would excite him. Good luck!
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 2:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Just invite some people over family and friends and cook home a nice dinner and buy or bake a cake. i don't think it has to be that extravagant. i think when he hits 21 is when he will want a party, so start saving for that. LOL. i know my daughter turns 20 in april and i will be saving for next year.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 3:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I like the service idea. I'm guessing he knows money is tight so a day of being treated like a prince might be nice. Breakfast in bed, clean his car/bike whatever, spring clean his room, watch is favorite movie, let him abuse your service for a day by being at his beck and call.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 5:54 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• If he is still in school.....and no big test are slated. Call him in for a day off. I like the breakfast in bed - or just let him lay around a be a lazy teen (pretty easy for most :)) make a nice dinner for a few of his friends and do an old fashioned board game night - bring back the early childhood memories. My boys are 24, 19 and 14 and money was tight for us always too. The older ones prefer to "come home for a meal" on their bdays now and break out a game or just sit and talk about....the good old days.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 10:23 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Contact your local recreational centers. Tell them the situation and let them help you find something you can do for or with him that will be inexpensive and a real memory builder.
    blainesgirl

Answer by blainesgirl at 4:22 PM on Apr. 4, 2011