I have a 10 week old and he still gets up every 2-3 hours at night to eat so my Dr. said that I could introduce cereal at night to help him sleep, anyone have experience with this? When did you start and how did you mix it with the formula and how much did it help?

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 6:29 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD was the same way its normal. Babies should not have solids til 6mos. If he's referring to rice cereal it has no nutrition value, they can't absorb the iron it just constipates them. At 3 3 /12mos they start sleeping the night.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 6:33 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I ment 3-3 1/2mos
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 6:35 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Are you breastfeeding or bottle feeding? I tend to notice that breastfed babies feed more thru-out the day and night. I think breast milk is thinner and formula is thicker and fills babies tummies for a longer period of time. If your doc said its okay to add some cereal then that would be good...But my daughter didnt start cereal until she was 4 months. Good Luck!
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 6:36 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• It's so weird how people associate babies with loss of sleep, and yet once the baby is here, suddenly it's supposed to magically sleep through the night!

Your baby could continue to get up every 2-3 hours until well into a year old- it's perfectly normal, and perfectly alright.

I would not introduce cereal, as babies digestive systems are not mature enough to handle cereal until AFTER 6 months of age.. Your doctor is giving you very poor advice.

I'm sorry, but when you sign up for motherhood, you sign up for sleep disturbed nights. The only ways "proven" (through anecdotal evidence) to effectively get your baby to sleep through the night (ie: rice cereal and CIO) have been proven (through science and fact) to harm your baby.

I can't promise you a full 12 hours uninterupted, but if you sleep with your baby, your sleep will be much less disturbed with wakings.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 6:36 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• It's not the best idea in the world. Babies wake to eat often because they NEED to eat often. There are risks, but I won't preach to you. I'll just say that you should do some research on the subject first.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:37 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I agree with farrahann and liyoness.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 6:38 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• babies sleep threw the night when they are ready, not when you are ready..Noah started at 2 months and then around 3-4 months decided it was time to start wakin up every 3 hrs again..I just have to get used to his schedual until hes ready. Feeding baby cereal doesnt help them sleep threw the night. Babies naturally wkae up for some reason, not just becuz they are hungry.
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 6:40 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• No cereal until 6 months of age, new studies show that it can cause food allergies, and obesity. I had to wake up every 2 hours to nurse my son when he was going through a growth spurt, now its every 4 hours and he's 3 months. My MIL says give him cereal...that's old school advice and it's no longer best for your child. Do whats best for your child not what's going to give you an extra hour of sleep. It is true that breastfed babies want to nurse more at night, If you do breastfeed great! You can try to give a bottle of formula to help a little it takes a baby 2-3 hours to digest formula and 45 mins to digest breastmilk. I don't like giving formula, but that would probably be better than giving cereal at this point. Hang in there momma. Try to take naps during the day or after work if you work. Get the baby's dad to help you out too!
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 6:47 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Your Dr. is wrong. That is totally normal, even for months and months. Just get used to it. The cereal being used this early can cause allergies. Your Dr. should know that.
    PamJM

Answer by PamJM at 7:32 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• How old is your doctor? He must be ancient, they haven't given that advice for soooooo long. My oldest is 16 and I was told to never give a baby under 4 months anything but breast milk or formula. If he's hungry give him more formula, or maybe he just needs a passy, either way, he's still to young for solids, thats why he doesn't have any teeth yet.
    kristinas8

Answer by kristinas8 at 7:41 PM on Nov. 28, 2008