Suppose the government didn't offer handouts...?

...such as food stamps, unemployment, cash assistance, etc. How do you think that would affect our nation? Do you think we'd have a lot more homeless, poor, and hungry citizens, or do you think more people would learn new creative ways to make ends meet?

Renee3K

Asked by Renee3K at 2:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Do you think we'd have a lot more homeless, poor, and hungry citizens, or do you think more people would learn new creative ways to make ends meet?

I think there would be less people living below the "poverty level'... I think America was founded on innovation and the ideals of working hard to achieve a goal. America wasn't founded on entitlements.... Do I think Local/State Programs are needed to assist the elderly/disabled? Yes. Do I think Federal Mandates of entitlement have hurt more than help? In many cases, YES.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I think we would half more homeless people. If work isnt there it isnt going to come out of a magic hat.

Answer by gemgem at 2:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I think we'd see more homelessness, more unhealthy people and more crime. We'd also see a higher abortion rate; that's already been going up due to the economy.

I also think we'd end up seeing an overall decline in the nation's per capita income; people will start settling for less but in the long run that doesn't help anyone.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Give it to me now attitudes would be a thing of the past.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 2:47 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• We'd have a lot more homeless people and I'd be screwed as well. Or at least, I'd be broke all the time lol
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 2:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I think we would see both. Some people are going to find work even if it's mowing lawns or hauling junk while others are going to end up homeless.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I have a job and have spent the last six months looking for another job to make it work in between school and work I would collect cans clean peoples houses and have a car wash if it could make ends meet for me. I have been homeless and I learned its a do anything kind of world.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• We would have more poverty and crime for a long time but eventually people would find more creative ways to help themselves such as growing gardens,canning,taking jobs that pay less,working more than one job,ect.
    thecoffeefairy

Answer by thecoffeefairy at 2:49 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• We have known a few guys who lost their jobs...really GOOD high paying jobs...and they actually DID work for anything,anywhere...they didn't want to recieve welfare forever. One started making furniture in his garage and sold it on Craig's List to provide for his family.
    They all have new jobs now---even better than the ones they lost-- and I think the fact that they were willing to work at anything impressed their new supervisors when they read their resumes and interviewed....know what I mean?
    BUT, for those who are less educated or handicapped or mentally challenged, and more needy, if there was no help at all....there would be so many more poor and homeless families and that would be awful.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 3:49 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• We would have more homeless and hungry people. While I am sure there are a handful of people who are on Gov aid and just along for the ride, a lot do work or are really looking. Especially right now where it is hard for anybody to find a keep a job. I just lost my job after 11 and a half years! That sounds pretty stable right? If I don't find new work in a month I will be line for aid as well but that doesn't mean I will stop looking for work. It just means I will not have to panic about how to feed my family.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2011