How do you feel about boxing

My son has been a victim of bullying at school, my husband has mwentioned the idea of taking him to boxing classes to defend himself. I hate fighting and think someone training t fight is mean and he could get hurt even worse what do you guys think?

natyythebratty

Asked by natyythebratty at 2:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I think boxing is a good way to learn self defense. And if nothing else, it might be something he likes.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 2:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Try Martial arts as well.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:37 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• boxing classes will teach him not just how to fight, they teach self discipline and they teach that fighting at school is not something they should do. My husband was a boxer as a teen and now teaches class to both children and adults at his brother's gym - he gets a lot of kids who have a bully at school or in the neighborhood and he always teaches them the importance of walking away from those situations and to inform a teacher/principal/parent. If your son is having problems you should go to the school and if they do nothing than go to the police and ask them to assign an officer at the school, at least that's what worked at my son's school - a friend of his had a relentless bully but when an officer was at the school he'd walk the halls and go out during recess and that bully never tried to fight anyone while he was there and the first time he did after that he was immediately suspended.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 2:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Just because he knows how to fight doesn't mean he will. He will just be prepared if it ever came to that. I think it's a good idea.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:37 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Honestly, fighting back isn't the answer either because that makes him just as guilty as the bully. And boxing?? Something that could potentially harm his brain? Really?
    Anonymous

• i think it's a great idea. The confidence alone could stop the bullying.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 5:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• It is either you get him self defense classes, or you take a stand like Ryan Halligan's father. You do not want to feel like this man does now. As one who was bullied, I would give anything for my parents to have let me take self defense!
    http://www.ryanpatrickhalligan.com/
    blainesgirl

Answer by blainesgirl at 4:20 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• not a big fan
    mommyof3-2008

Answer by mommyof3-2008 at 8:01 AM on May. 28, 2011