Low calorie meals

My husband is trying to loose weight, so far just by eating less and hardly any desserts... was wondering what I could make for suppers that are nourishing, yet not too high in calories

annonymous359

Asked by annonymous359 at 2:38 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• A 6 oz portion of baked salmon seasoned with lemon pepper and some fresh steamed veggies like broccoli, cauliflower & carrots. 

KoffeeKrazy

Answer by KoffeeKrazy at 2:47 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• i would like to know too, i'm not a fish eater. its hard when alot of the foods are fattening. just try eliminating the breads, pastas, sugars. i'm trying and its hard.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 2:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I have been eating progresso soups for dinner. There are alot to choose from and the whole can is under 200 calories. If he likes soups, you might try that.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Those soups have way too much sodium, the low sodium choices taste that cardboard, plus a serving is HALF the can, that's not going to fill anyone up.

a good healthy, reasonable calorie meal will have a lean protein such as 4-5 ounces of grilled or baked salmon, tilapia, chicken, turkey, lean cuts of beef and pork, a serving of whole grain carbs such as brown rice, quinoa, or barley and steamed or grilled veggies. A great breakfast could be a serving of plain oatmeal with fresh fruit on it or 2 eggs, a piece of fruit and a slice of whole grain toast.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:57 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Whenever I'm trying to lose, I buy those bags of salad greens and eat the entire thing with a baked chicken breast cut up on top. Sometimes I'll add cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, etc......but not always. I also buy light (not ff) salad dressing (a balsamic vinegrette) and am very careful about how much of it I use. You can get real full on all that for about 300-350 calories. If I'm stil hungry afterwards, I'll eat an apple. Sure, sometimes it isn't very satisfying (especially when I watch my fiance enjoying a cheeseburger or some gooey pizza...) and after a while, my mouth isn't exactly watering for a salad, but it gets the job done and you're not starving yourself.
    Molly4630

Answer by Molly4630 at 5:15 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Check out cleaneatingmag.com. They have a ton of great healthy recipes.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• We eat a lot of yams you can dice them up add a little bit of oil and some seasonings (we also dice up some red onion to go with it) and bake it for 30 minutes. Super good for you, super feeling, and fairly low calories.
    We switched out pasta for spaghetti squash.
    Boil some eggs to go on top of a salad. Use a light dressing instead of full fat.

A lot of it is portion sizes though.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:37 PM on May. 4, 2011