Should I keep my mouth shut?

I got married a year ago and my sister in law is 17. She is pregnant. We went out to dinner with her and my DH's parents and I knew she was pregnant. I asked her in the bathroom and she admitted it, that she is 16 weeks along and her parents have no clue. She goes to the doctor's appointments and is graduating high school in May. My DH has no clue either, but the girl is clearly pregnant (she was always so thin and now she a a baby bump and she used to have no boobs, like AA and now she is a B). I feel like just keeping my mouth shut but she is under 18 so maybe I should say something, at least to my DH. I have no clue how her parents don't realize it either but anyway, what should I do (and fyi, I am not one of those people who like to go around telling everyone else's business so I would rather not say anything but I just don't know if that is the right thing to do)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Id tell dh, and tell him to keep his mouth shut about it. I would also tell sil she is going to need support and a coach when she goes into labor and tell her you will do it with her. Once you are closer and she trusts you then maybe you can encourage her to tell her parents. FYI I did not tell mine until I was 7.5 months preggers. I also was 17. I was super tiny and did not show until over 6 months and could get away with baggy clothes.
    Anonymous

• She is 17. And planning on graduating school....I would probably let her keep her secret. She is of age of consent now.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• It is not your place to say anything. I'm sure she told u in confidence. U will just be starting alot of drama,just keep quiet. She told u cause she trusts u. Moms-to-be need to avoid stress,it is not good for mom or baby.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I'd stay out of it.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I am glad everyone agrees, I didn't want to say anything but I wanted to make sure that wouldn't be wrong for not saying anything
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I would let her tell her parents the news when she wanted to. It amazes me that you noticed and her own mom has not. It's sad, really.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• i think that this is a tricky question b/c i agree with most of the other answers on here about it not being your place to say anything but at the same time i think that if the your mother in law finds out that you knew before her and didn't tell her she may hold some resentment towards you. The sister in law may have told you also b/c she was practicing on you beforehand to see how you'd react before she told her parents or she was maybe hoping you would offer to help tell the parents. i don't know but clearly i do think that she should not be alone in this. Use your gut and if you decide not to tell her then at least be there for her.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 2:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• its not your place to tell her parents or your husband, its hers. stay out of it unless she wants you to tell them. maybe suggest you go with her or sit with her when she does tell her parents. i'm surprised her mother doesn't notice it or senses something, because my mother knew. my mother was a detective in the house, checking my pad supply. but i was glad it was out in the open.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 2:52 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Just talk to her and let her know you'll be there for her if she needs anything. Let her tell everyone when she's ready.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 2:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Just encourage her to tell her family. That is all you should do.

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 2:55 PM on Mar. 31, 2011