Anyone else have an overly protective cat?

When I was 15 I was given a female cat, she was very lovable and protective - she'd follow me to the bus stop and be waiting on the front steps when I got home. She'd also circle around my younger cousins when they'd play outside or stand watch. When she had kittens she'd be protective of them outside as well - one time in particular a blue jay kept swooping down and attacking the kittens, later that day I found the kittens in the kitchen playing with the decapitated head of the blue jay and my mother cat was outside ripping its body apart! Now I'm 25 and have two male cats (my mother cat's grandsons) and they're just as protective - they stand watch while my kids play in the yard and follow me when I go on walks - luckily we live on a dead end street with almost no traffic. I find it funny that my cats are more protective than my dogs.

anon1986East

Asked by anon1986East at 2:54 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Pets

• I think it's cute!! Cat's can be just as protective as a dog. Sometimes even better than a dog.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My cat Dusty looked out for me. He hated my stbxh, I should have listened to him. I started dating my stbxh when I was 14 years old, Dusty was 2 years old at that point and would get between us and would even hiss at him sometimes. I have only ever heard Dusty Hiss at one person and that was the ex. We broke up when we were teens but got back together as a adults and Dusty still did not like him even though 10 years had passed. Dusty loved to travel in the car with me. He was always there for me. I can remember when I was upset he would come lay down with me and allow me to cry into his fur. He was not typically an in your face affectionate cat either except with me. He was 13 years old when my daughter was born and always looked after her. The funny thing is we also had Dusty's mama and she was not one that I would call protective when I was a kid but she was with my daughter.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• yep sounds like my cat Sarah, he (yes he) follows me everywhere and gets very jealous if my so is near me. I find it very cute though so I dont mind.
    DawnLauren

Answer by DawnLauren at 6:31 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Wow, I have great cats that always come when they are called, but your story is amazing. I never heard of protective cats before. So glad to hear you have continued that family line - they're special.
    Whimsee

Answer by Whimsee at 7:52 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I had a cat when I was a teen and in my 20's. She would carry on if I didn't get home by a certain time of night. So when I went out I had to say I will be " home early" or 'be home Late" or " "I will see you in the morning"
    When I left my mom always said "did you tell the cat when you will be home so she doesn't wake me up?"
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:13 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My cat was very protective of me-he even went after a large dog in the yard that was loose when he saw I had the dog by the collar and the dog was jumping. My cat would have probably attacked the dog to protect me if my neighbor had not picked him up in time.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 8:38 AM on Apr. 1, 2011