PLEASE HELP!! Problem teacher... what to do??

My family moved 2000 miles away from home this last summer and we have all had to make adaptions but my son has had to do the most. His school is triple the size we came from and his teacher has been very difficult to deal with. I'm about ready to homeschool the last couple months!! Am I over reacting?? Here's todays ordeal... my son- 4th grade- has a bit of add and has struggled in social situations (did not grow up around any other kids) so I have asked the teacher to send home school work that he needs extra help with since I do not expect her to spend extra time with him... I will help. She has blown me off every time I ask about his grades, missing homework or extra credit things to help bring his grades up (they have gone from a's, b's occasional c's to c's, d's and a couple f's). I have had meetings with the councelor, principal and teacher... sent notes and emails... wait to see if things improve... NOTHING!! I am so frustrated now because my son came home and said he had "silent lunch"... again because he didn't do his math- HER way. Keep in mind socializing has been a struggle already for him... now you deprive him of that interaction at his ONLY time to play throughout the day??!! He can do the assignments and get the correct answer... so I can't understand why she is being so difficult with him!! Today she said that if he doesn't do the math her way tomorrow- he will miss out on the class party!! What should I do now??

SCMomKatie

Asked by SCMomKatie at 3:10 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Go to the principle and district office and complain.

Answer by gemgem at 3:12 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Please talk to the principal and lay your cards on the table I think the more you start recording her blowing you off the more proof you have of it the better.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:14 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I would go above your Principal's head and talk with the superintendent first thing and if she still won't let him go to the party, pull him out of school for the afternoon. Do no allow that woman to make your child miserable over petty things like this. Also, if you choose to homeschool (and I encourage it) look for support groups in your area where your son can work on his social skills. Good luck.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:15 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Go above their heads. Has there been any evaluation for him? Does he have an IEP?

Answer by gdiamante at 3:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• If he has ADD you should get an IEP. The school is required by law to stick to the plan so that your child has access to an equal and appropriate education.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Can you take time tomorrow to "volunteer" at the school? Or better yet, our school, when there is an issue like this, the parents are allowed to observe the classroom, of course without disrupting the teaching. I wouldn't go over the principals head yet, give them the opportunity to help you fix it. But I would most definately show up tomorrow.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 3:23 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• talk to the school board
    wubbunny420

Answer by wubbunny420 at 3:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Thank you for all the answers... my son was re evaluated at his new school and missed "their qualifications" by 1 point. He did have an IEP but not now. I am looking into private testing but it is just so frustrating to have to fight with a teacher... to TEACH!! Uuuuggg!!
    It amazes me that she is so unwilling to have me help my son learn.
    SCMomKatie

Comment by SCMomKatie (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Absolutely schedule a meeting w/ the principal & the teacher & perhaps the school social worker or psychologist. Ring the IEP/504 plan bell. There is no point system for ADD - that is ridiculous!

If your son has ADD, then the teacher is treating his learning issue as a behavior issue. If she won't act like a human being, then her principal needs to make her.

Sorry you're going through this :( Remind your son that he is a great kid, and he'll get through this year!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 1:56 PM on Apr. 3, 2011