Cooking dinner?

Do you help your child and/or allow your children of older age to cook?

cat260

Asked by cat260 at 3:10 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Depends on the child. My dd (love her the death) cant cook. My son whose 18 though cooks like nobodies business lol. So it just depends on the kid.

Answer by gemgem at 3:15 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• By the time i as 10 I could put a meal on the table... my sister is almost 40 and still can't, Some of us have it while others don't. If the kid can cook, or is interested they deserve to- it is a skill they'll use the rest of their life.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Dh and I have decided that our 10 year old is going to be responsible for preparing one meal a month for the family. He'll get assistance, but cooking is the only way a kid learns how to cook. So, he's going to start!
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 3:20 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Absolutely! I wish I would have started mine learning sooner!! Keep an eye on them but let them learn and have fun!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 3:25 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I was just curious.My 16 year old can bbq and cook inside.he can cook well.My 12 year lod is learning how to cook on the stove.My 10 year old with assistance is learning how to reheat dinners simple things .i agree children need this skills as well. and makes for great family times and self esteem booster.
    cat260

Comment by cat260 (original poster) at 3:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I let my kids help me. But my thirteen year old isnt even allowed to use the stove, unless I am right there.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I didn't start cooking at 13 everyday, we would have starved lol, my mom and dad worked weird hours so I did the cooking
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My children can all cook - from my 13 yr old to my 21 yr olds. They can also do laundry, dishes, floors, bathrooms, clean their bedrooms, etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• DD wants to be a chef when she grows up and helps cook often
    thecoffeefairy

Answer by thecoffeefairy at 4:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Absofreakinlutely. I think it's our job as parents to teach out kids how to make themselves a meal. Every year on my twins birthday DH and I give them more responsibilities. This year we are going to give them one day each week where they are responsible for making the family meal. Anyway, yes they can already cook.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 5:47 PM on Mar. 31, 2011