Wanting to move to Cali

after I graduate from college (medical assistant). I never done a big move (packing a entire apartment, a kid, and a cat) what are some things I should know before I move...like what are some good steps I should follow to get the heck outta here?

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 3:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Travel

• Do you have a job lined up yet? That would be the first step. The medical field is a good one to be in here.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:19 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Where in California are you planning on moving? I got lots of moving boxs from the grocery store. You can get great big diaper box's for free from them. They are huge and really tough
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 3:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• no..so yeah that would have to be the first step...
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 3:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• well I was thinking of moving in the bay area cause I have 2 friends out that way...I know San Fran is expensive and so is San Degio so I would avoid those areas for now...I definitly dont want to be in the ghetto lol
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Where in the Bay Area are your friends? The whole area is fairly pricey, especially compared to your current home.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:37 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• like what is common rent? I would bet the rent is expensive but don't the jobs pay a certain amount so it's all good?
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• i live in Ca and the cheapiest place to live close to they area your talking about it (valjo/fairfield) and they arent cheap........try looking on craigslist for housing cost and some job listings before you decided to move here........life here is expensive.......i live 4hours north of the bay area and my daily living expenses excede 2000$ a month and thats not including food/house hold products that just basic bills like rent/pge/phone/water/garbage ect. ......really research be for you decide to move here k.......good luck .......
    Anonymous

• Ok I know it is expensive but isn't the pay kinda equal you know?...I searched and a site said salinas, oakland, freemont, redwood, vallejio, fairfield, hayward, and san mateo are good with my occupation.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 3:51 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• California is a great place to live and the Bay Area is beautiful. The pay is better but I don't know if it equals out cost of living. Before you move try to sell or donate everything you absolutely don't need. That may sound extreme but it will make finding a place to live loads easier when you don't have to worry about hauling your stuff around. My hubby and I try to de-clutter our apartment every month or so by donating old clothes and other stuff. The less stuff you have, the easier your move will be.
    wdenise

Answer by wdenise at 7:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2011