Why do you have to rinse rice? Do you? Is it just for taste? I don't really have a way to rinse my rice, it will fall through the strainer, lol.

workathome01

Asked by workathome01 at 9:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Food & Drink

• My husband is a sous chef and he says that you should rinse the rice because sometimes, tiny particles of dirt and other things (bugs) can get ino the packaging. By rinsing it you get rid of most of the nasty stuff. You can use the pan you cook in to rinse and then use the cover to hold in the rice while the water runs out. Hope this helps! Happy rice eating!
    ptstepmom

Answer by ptstepmom at 9:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Use the boil in bag rice. It says to DO NOT rinse. Just boil it in the bag, drain briefly, cut open the bag and pour in a bowl. presto! Rice.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I have always rinsed my rice. Bugs and dirt particles get in the boxes. I even rinse the boil-in-bags.
    Bevner

Answer by Bevner at 1:13 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I always heard it was to get rid of some of the starch. But also by rinsing it you rinse away the nutrients it brings and I've been told by nutritionists NOT to rinse rice. I guess really it is a personal choice.
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 8:54 AM on Jul. 10, 2008