Will this affect you and how you buy?

Earlier today, Walmart announced that they will begin increasing prices in June because of inflation. Many stores will follow suit in order to compete and stay in the market. How will this affect your budget and how you buy things......

foreverb3

Asked by foreverb3 at 3:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Hmm... good question. Walmart is the closest place for me to get odds and ends here, but I'm actually moving in June, so I think my buying would be changing, anyway. I don't know, though, even if I stayed here... walmart is kind of the place I go when I can't get out of town, so that might not have changed.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 3:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Actually this was announced by the Govt awhile back that we would have "Super Inflation" starting in June 2011. Nice of them to give the stores the idea was it not? I dont know how it will affect me, but I know I do plan a larger garden this summer so I wont have to buy as much produce from any store. I had already planned to buy a bunch of meat for the freezer, so I guess Ill just buy even more then I had planned. I already have all my kids summer clothes (bought those last month). They just need summer shoes, so I can get those this week.
    I really put as little money as I can into the current economy. I even fired my gardener.

Answer by gemgem at 3:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I' not a big shopper anyways so it won't impact how or what i buy but sure, inflation hurts the pocketbook.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Stores have been increasing their prices for awhile now. They a using what the government announced to hike their prices up higher. Selfish of them isn't it?!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:55 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Stupid of the Govt who already knows we have a failing economy.
    Anonymous

• if prices go up, then yes it will affect us. But you just have to be smart and shop conservatively. Really we are already pretty conservative. We use cloth diapers, I use cloth pads, we don't use many paper products other them TP, I cook from scratch and buy in bulk. This summer we will plant a garden to can and freeze for winter, we will go hunting in the fall or buy a cow from one of our friends to slaughter. We buy more from the farmers market in the summer then the actual stores. We walk a lot during the summer to conserve gas. We buy clothes and like items at consignment shops, thrift stores and discount outlets like Ross. You would be surprised at how conservative you can get.

The thing that is going to cost us a lot this summer is taking the kids through Yellowstone, but I spent most of my child hood there so gas prices be damned, we are going.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:59 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I don't do much shopping at Walmart anyway..not that it matters because prices are going up everywhere. We recently raised prices at my dry cleaners to accommodate the increases in electric, water, solvent, minimum wage, unemployment ins and workers comp. I will be increasing prices for some of the special needs items my other company makes..my fabric went up a whopping 25%.

What can a business do? I hate raising prices if for no other reason than dealing with understandably irate customers.

I suppose this means our move this summer will cost us more..then again..what can I do......not a dang thing!

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:03 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I will continue to shop at Target in my community Target is the cheapest place to buy groceries with the exception of Aldi. A local new station did a price comparison on non sale exact items and Target was 2 bucks cheaper. Add in the 5 percent discount using my Red debit card and I save even more. I have seen some other articles about how Walmart in some markets is more expensive so I am not shocked by a price increase.
    Anonymous

• I rarely shop walmart but if they raise prices so will everybody else. My plan is to continue to buy in bulk and sta as stocked up as possible. I also will grow and can my own this year and I am thinking that buying from a farmer this season isn't a bad idea. Many people will have more on their plates because of this. Those with children expecially because of how fast they grow and the need for shoes and clothes.
    foreverb3

Comment by foreverb3 (original poster) at 4:05 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I never shop at Walmart they are the Corporate Devils
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 4:08 PM on Mar. 31, 2011