Eyeliner???

My daughter is 12, she will be 13 years old in July. She is constantly sneaking & applying eyeliner. I think she is too young...but its been a big ole fight for the past six months. She does well in school and helps out around the house, she does have tons of tude...what are your thoughts....too young or let it fly (just curious)??

BalooSkii

Asked by BalooSkii at 3:49 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• i say let her, she's already sneaking around wearing it, i think if you tell her to use it in a respectful manner as a 12 yo should, then she can be allowed to wear it. but ur the mommy =]
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 3:54 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• The issue isn't the eyeliner but she is sneaking something you have previously said no to. And that you are concerned she looks much older. Sometimes looking older can't be helped. It isn't a matter of dress or makeup for some kids - they are just taller, have more development at their age, and act a little older or more mature. It is hard sometimes for those kids because then people treat them as being older than what they really are. If this were my situation I would have a talk with her about my expectations for how she is to look and that I am willing to be flexible - to a degree. But what I will not tolerate is deliberately doing something I said NO to. I recognize I can be wrong or unfair but it doesn't give you the right to disregard my parenting. There are better ways for you to communicate to me you are ready to wear eyeliner, go to dances, go to the mall with friends, drive a car, ect...

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:15 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• The battle here is not the eyeliner. The bigger picture is she is not respectful of how to communicate her thoughts about what is fair. I see it as a teachable moment. To talk openly about what a child her age, in your opinion should be wearing, not wearing, doing or not doing. And for her to give her opinions. Then to reach an agreement. You can say I see your point and this is what I can do as a parent. But my point as a parent is you have privileges. Having an attitude with me, talking back, not doing expected chores, ect...means consequences. It shows you are not ready for some of the privileges you currently have or would like to have. I would personally set my rules about how she can wear her makeup (including eyeliner), where she can wear it, and other things as well. I would talk to her about I want her opinions in a respectful way. She can loose any privledge when I have no respect or honesty.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:23 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• i think as long as she not useing lots at 12 its not a problem she prob just wants to be like the rest of the girls
    my hubby think gilrs dont need make up till there 16 lol
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 3:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• A bit of eyeliner,mascara and lip gloss are acceptable at her age
    thecoffeefairy

Answer by thecoffeefairy at 4:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Thx ladies, i feel a little better, my issue is that she doesn't look 12 she already looks 15/16  i appriciate your support!!

BalooSkii

Comment by BalooSkii (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I'm a big believer in picking your battles and if it were me, I'd go ahead and let her. As I said in another post, I think teaching her about makeup, how to put it on etc can be a great mom and daughter time.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 7:38 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• 13 will be the age I let my daughter wear it.....for me, that will be this fall!
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 11:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• i think too young but kids arent like we were in the 70s
    carellidkag

Answer by carellidkag at 9:39 AM on Apr. 4, 2011