When is it time for Black Friday to stop

I know many people love black friday but it is getting out of hand in the name of sales and bargains. Today a 33 year old Man working for Walmart was trampled to death as he opened the doors. Two people were shot at a Toys R Us. It's just not worth it.

doulaforbirth

Asked by doulaforbirth at 6:53 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Shopping

• Black Friday is just a symptom of our society....Me me and me! That is the focus! And...I want it all, I want it now and don't get in my way!

Very Sad ...indeed!

Mothers have a calling....to teach their children respect and kindness. To value people over things and to Care ! Hopefully....we can turn things around for future generations.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 7:02 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I simply stay home. It's called Black Friday for a reason. It's ugly out there and I don't need the "deals" bad enough. I don't even look at the ads anymore. I make sure I don't have to leave the house because I don't want to deal with the crazy shoppers out there. I didn't even know about the deaths today until this post. I've been at home watching movies and chilaxing. It's sad what the "HOLIDAYS" have become.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 7:03 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• The toys r us shooting had nothing to do with black friday. I live in the area and it was two rival gang members who ran into each other shopping and killed each other. As for the trampling it was very unfortunate but it happened in an area I probably would not live in anyway. Thats all I would say about that. The crowd involved in that I really am not shocked did what they did.
    I love black friday and one or two bad incidents isnt enough to stop the tradition. There is violence everyday we just happen to hear about it on black friday because its a big shopping day.
    Anonymous

• the thing is, we've been conditioned to behave this way. when companies started purposely hyping up a product/event, and then limiting the availability to said item, the frenzy began. whether it's beanie babies (the 90's), playstations, Iphones or black Friday, we've been conditioned to think we HAVE TO HAVE it - whatever it is - just so we can say we got it first, or got it cheapest.

and the bullshit oh I go bc I can buy more stuff and I'm poor doesn't fly. if you are poor, buy less shit. your kids will only have a bad Christmas if you chose to base the quality of your holiday on material goods.

(btw happy) it's called black friday because traditionally this big shopping day puts the books "in the black", which means they company has finally turned a profit for the reporting period.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 7:20 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• The poor man wasn't opening the doors, he was trying to keep the greedy bastards out til he was supposed to open them.... They took the door off the hinges and killed him.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 9:59 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I agree with one of the posters above . . . people have been conditioned and programmed into believing they need this crap and are willing to go through this craziness to get it. And the name black friday has nothing to do with doom and gloom; it's an accounting term used to indicate a positive balance (vs. being in the red which indicates a negative balance).
    Anonymous