toddler bed

i just converted my son's crib to a toddler bed earlier and tonight will be the first night he will sleep in it as a toddler bed. any suggestions for the switch and for keeping him in the bed if he has the issue of getting out.

sterlids

Asked by sterlids at 6:54 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, I don't have a toddler, but I watch Nanny 911 a lot and she teaches that you have to be firm and if they get up just keep putting them back over and over until they fall asleep. Eventually you won't have to keep putting him down because he won't get out of bed. She suggests having a routine and following it, giving him a bed time story and putting them to bed. Don't stay in the room long periods of time and don't sleep with him in his bed to get him to fall asleep or it could turn into a bad habit. That show always changes kids at the end.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 7:05 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• The best thing that helped me with my son is if they get up take them back and dont say anything kiss them goodnight and leave. Make sure NO toys are visable or atainable until they understand bed is for sleeping. They will push your buttons to see if you break because they have freedom...stick to it and you should be fine. Goodluck. Also, if they have trouble staying maybe a favorite blanket or stuffed animal something like that put it in bed and say oh bear is going night night. I always tell my son he is such a big boy for sleeping in his toddler bed. LOTS of positive reinforcement will help.
    momma2zac2006

Answer by momma2zac2006 at 8:40 PM on Nov. 28, 2008