Daughter wont eat meat, son wont eat veggies :/

Mommies, help!
My soon-to-be 5 year old daughter recently stopped eatting meat- she tells us she doesn't like the way it tastes anymore (I know I went through a similar phase) and my 3 year old son will not touch veggies unless they are fried (yuck!). I started them on pediasure to help them fill in the nutritional gaps, but I would love advice from moms who have battled this. "Hiding" the foods they wont eat does not work- I need ways to make these things look appealing to them again. Any suggestions?

MsKylaSkyy

Asked by MsKylaSkyy at 4:25 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Hmm....whenever hide anything for my SD. We give her the Carnation Instant Breakfast to fill nutritional gaps, too.....but we make dinner and tell her that this is what there is to eat. Sometimes she won't eat it or will just pick at it for a day or two....but when she is hungry enough, she attacks whatever we put on her plate.
    Molly4630

Answer by Molly4630 at 4:29 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• That's the way it is here as well, we put dinner down and tell our kiddos this is what we are having, but they will totally pick around whatever they don't want. I'll leave it for later hoping they will just eat it when they get hungry enough, but my daughter would rather go without food all day than eat meat! I'm hoping to find positive ways to get them to enjoy the right foods again, without making food seem like a punishment. It's tough!
    MsKylaSkyy

Comment by MsKylaSkyy (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• You just described my older brothers to a T. They would trade their plates once they were done with the stuff they wanted. (Of course, I didn't learn of this till I was older...even though I sat RIGHT BETWEEN THEM during dinner, LOL.) I know some of our meals I would have preferred to eat nothing at all vs what was sat in front of me because it was just nasty.

I don't know, try fixing other things that are just as good for them? Try different meats/veggies and see what they like, even though with my bros...it really didn't matter...the one would NOT eat any kind of veggies, and the other wouldn't eat any kind of meat (except hamburgers/chicken...but I don't blame him, when it came to pork chops/steak/roast beef...my mom just didn't have the skills).
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 4:54 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• we wer told by nurse Carnation instant breakfast vanilla was best and pediasure to keep healthy for the picky eaters. But if you feel it is really a serious issue , I just learned the there is a program thr our speech development depatment wher my son has OT . It is thru OT AND Speech and helps picky eaters . You will need to go thru your dr and contact the occupation / speech therary group in your area to see if avaliable.
    RENITA13

Answer by RENITA13 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I would just keep making the stuff you make for dinner...and have the take what we call a "no thank you" bite. Its just a spoon full or a piece of whatever it is they don't like.. then have them eat just the tiny bit. Sometimes they will actually like it and want more other times they won't but this way they don't feel that have to eat a whole portion and at least they tried the food. This way you don't feel like you are becoming a short order cook and making them whatever they want to eat. Just make sure to have tons of variety and keep up the the pedisure and they will both come around!
    way1

Answer by way1 at 7:59 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Thank you Way1, I have been doing this but wasn't sure if it was going to do any good! Glad to know it works for you =D
    MsKylaSkyy

Comment by MsKylaSkyy (original poster) at 1:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2011