Is starting a garden on a patio really going to save me money?

We live in an apartment, so if I start growing my own produce, I would need to buy planters and things like that.

Is that really going to save me money rather than buying produce?

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 4:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Tomatoes for sure!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 4:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I have found that the only gardening that actually saves me money is growing herbs. In season tomatoes, green beans, peppers, etc. are just so inexpensive (esp. at farmers markets). Fresh herbs, on the other hand, are very pricey. I grow veggies for the joy of gardening, not to save money.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 4:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• You can recycle and repurpose containers instead of buying fancy expensive containers.....I cut the tops off cat litter pour style containers, milk jugs, plastic tubs that grapes and tomatoes come in (I have tomato seedings in a few of those right now), even old totes and containers found on freecycle.

It can absolutely save you money and chemicals!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:37 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I'm also concerned that my kitties will munch on the growing veggies as they're growing. I plan on trying to plant herbs and cat grass, hoping the cat grass will keep the cats away. lol
    corbysmom531

Comment by corbysmom531 (original poster) at 5:27 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• the start up cost for planters can be a downer but pride in making ur own food .. the "fresh off the vine" taste... and knowing how your food was grown (chemical free) is worth it.
    The $$ for start up will pay for itself in a year or so .. all depends on how much you spend. how much you grow. and how much you eat! lol.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:41 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• When we're on a tight budget, we can't wait a year to recoup our money.
    corbysmom531

Comment by corbysmom531 (original poster) at 9:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Oh my yes! Agree with above about containers (place rocks or torn up styrofoam on bottom for drainage). Green peppers last year were 1.00 each. I paid .75 for a plant and had about 12 peppers! Tomatoes! Herbs! even 2 green bean plants gave me enough to enjoy! And check your farmers market for corn, peas, green beans - all can be frozen (so can peppers and tomatoes) for later in the year. i didn't know you could freeze tomatoes and peppers til last year my mil suggested it and I use them in meatloaf, spag sauce, etc all winter! If you know someone with "land" you don't need to buy soil just ask if you can use theirs for your containers. You can pretty up your milk jugs with paint and stickers. Have kids? let them decorate them!
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 10:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2011